1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aussie Lady, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Aussie Lady

Aussie Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Hello everyone

I'm very excited - I just picked up my 4 Australorp girls. They get on well with my Silkie. They are at point of lay so they should be laying in approx 4 weeks time. It will be my first ever egg. I wanted to ask you all "the eggsperts" (pun intended) how do you clean your eggs from pooh and dirt?

I have read that the egg is surrounded by a bloom - this helps so no bacteria can enter into the porous shell. Once the bloom is gone, they should not be kept for long or not at all - I'm not too sure. The commercial ones are washed however they put on a commercial spray i.e. a chemical bloom. How would you know if the "bloom" is gone? Can you clean these with a brush or would this be too harsh? I'm not quite sure how to go about this and wonder if I should just leave the egg as is.

Thanks for your advice
    Cheers
    Chrissy

I wish everyone a very HAPPY AND SAFE EASTER SEASON [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

PS Over here it's nice that's its getting a bit cooler. We still have temperatures up in the high 20C. We are just coming into the dry season now.

2. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    As long as you collect your eggs at least once daily, you keep your nest boxes clean and you don't have chickens sleeping in the nest boxes, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how clean your eggs will be out of the nest Any that you do find dirty can be soaked to soften the dirt and wiped with a sponge.

If the bloom is removed the eggs are still good. Eggs are pretty durable.

3. Aussie Lady

Aussie Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Thank you spartacus for your reply and valuable information

cheers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by