Cleaning Pasty Butt

mendogurl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
We have a nice little epidemic here.
Tried to wipe it off with damp paper towel, no luck. It's pretty hard.

How do I clean it?

And I should add molasses to the water, yes?

I run a smooth stream of warm water and put their butts in it. After a minute or so, it loosens enough to get off. I dry them off the best I can get them back in the brooder quickly!

Nope, no molasses. It causes diarhea and will cause more problems.

To clean pasty bottoms, I use a warm wet q-tip and keep gently rubbing it over the vent area until I see it is clean. Apply some vege oil or baby oil to keep more from sticking.

Then, figure out what causing the problem. Usually it is due to the brooder being too hot or too cool. Can also be from water that is too cold for their little systems (try tepid water).

Quote:
Hello! Whatever you do, don't try and pull it off. I have heard that this can cause the chicks insides to be pulled out(yikes). I turn on the faucet, and make sure the water is running warm and then put the chicks bottom under the running water and rub the area untill all the mess if removed. Sometimes it's hard and dry, so you have to kind of break it up untill all is washed off. Are you feeding medicated feed because this could be the start of cocci. If you are not feeding medicated, I would. If I don't have medicated feed available, I purchase sulmet and mix in their water as directed on the bottle. Good luck!!!

I think it will soften up if it stays damp for a bit just don't let her get chilled, clean her up under the heat lamp. You may have to gently pick it off, thats what I did for a few of mine. The tissue there near the vent is really easy to tear so be careful. I did just see a post about adding molasses to drinking water...that may help too. It should subside in a day or two, its usually just after the stress of birth or the mail travel. Did you ever wonder who cleans up pasty bum when they are born to free range in the barnyard?
roll.png

I run the chick's little bottom under a warm stream of water as well (bathroom sink works for us), and rub VERY gently with a bit of paper towel until the crusty is loosened. I make sure the chick is nice and dry before returning it to the brooder.

I have not had to do this more than once or twice, and never more than once per chick. Good luck!

Sorry to dissagree on the molasses hinkjc. Pasty but is a symptom of constipation. Molasses, being a natural laxative is the cure. Been doing this for 51 years and nothing works better. It is a widely missunderstood malady, though. It needs to be mixed to look like weak tea and given to them a couple days.

No molasses, I read that a little oats in their starter feed helps. I have been putting that into their feed ever sense and never had another case of it. Prevention is better then clean up. I used warm water and a paper towel. I don't think there is a special trick. Sorry.

Okay, got them cleaned up.
Love this board. Typed in Past butts and read three zillion posts. Gently used a toothbrush dipped in warm water. Excellent.

Now for prevention.
I have heard molasses, oatmeal, scrambled eggs...

What to do.

Brooder temp is 93 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom