Cleaning Routine

Hi,
I have the styrofoam hovabators and when I clean them I use 10% bleach/water solution on the plastic trays and metal mesh, then rinse well with water.
The bottom half the incubator is cleaned very quickly using the same solution and rinsed with water, I believe bleach can start to eat away at the styrofoam if left on too long. (but I may be wrong)
The top half I just wipe the inside window with the bleach solution on a microfiber cloth so I don't scratch it.
I mist the turner's racks with the bleach solution, careful not to spray the motor, and then wipe it off with a paper towel.

Carolyn

Quote:
ty ty sounds easy enough!!!
smile.png

Let me preface this by saying I have NO EXPERIENCE in incubation.

I read in "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" that a styrofoam incubator is the most difficult type to clean and that after a few consecutive hatches, the success rate drops sharply. There is styrofoam sanitizer on the market but some manufacturers recommend plain water. They also say that if you opt for a styrofoam incubator, plan on one hatch, or only two or three consecutive hatches, then thoroughly clean the incubator and let it sit for several months before using it again. Storey's guide claims that you can press aluminum foil against the bottom, shiny side down, and poke holes for the necessary air vents. Has this been an issue for anyone (as far as sanitation goes?)

I am new to the chicken addiction and have started researching incubators for the future (maybe we should sticky note reviews of different models). It seems like there are many people who like the Genesis 1588, even tho it is styrofoam. Just wondering how long people have been using the same incubator.

Back
Top Bottom