Cleaning Solution

Alex961

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
Hi everyone I am getting some Silkie Chicks
wee.gif
And I was wondering what kind of solution can I use to clean out food and water bowls etc. ? Like a bleach to water solution maybe? Thanks! -Alex

I've used both bleach water and also just plain Dawn dishsoap. I've used it on all of my chicks and grown birds and have never had a problem. Just make sure if you use bleach to use hot water so that you can thoroughly rinse the bleach off of their dishes. We just added Silkies to our clan and we just love them!

About three tablespoons to the gallon will give you a mixture slightly stronger than 1:100. This is the strength recommended by the CDC as a general disinfectant for surfaces. A scant two cups to the gallon will give you a sock-knocking 1:10 solution strong enough for even the most vile cleaning and disinfecting jobs, but be careful as this solution is very caustic. And remember to be careful about not mixing bleach solutions with other substances, particularly those containing ammonia, as the chlorine gas can kill. I once knew a Boy Scout who got a free trip to the emergency room by pouring straight bleach into a toilet bowl that, knowing younger scouts probably had not been flushed in days. They said you could see a purple cloud rising over the camp shower house. Yech.

I use dish soap and distilled white vinegar to clean waterer and put ACV in my Silkies water everyday one tablespoon of it to one gallon water ,along with all the other things it is good for mit makes container easier to clean.

In everyday use, I just use dishwasher soap. If something needs better disinfecting (incubator or cages that I'm putting new birds in, something like that), I use nolvasan, which is a wonderful gentle disinfectant my wildlife rehab group uses. I've even used it on the infected eyelid of one of my chickens and it caused no damage whatsoever to her eye. It's great stuff! Perfect for cleaning cages and wounds and whatever else.

In the case that I'm dealing with actual disease (not usually involving my flock, more generally wild birds I'm caring for and I don't want the disease to pass to my flock) I use the 1/10 bleach solution in a spray bottle. So far, so good! I've dealt with some pretty terrible deadly diseases in rehab birds, and neither my house birds nor my chickens have gotten so much as a sniffle.

Back
Top Bottom