Cleaning the coop

GW02

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
I’m wondering what would be best to clean wood nest boxes? I was thinking maybe a vinegar/water mix would be good but wanted to make sure it would be safe, my chickens won’t be in there for another 2 weeks or so. The previous owners of my house left all the straw and nasties in the nest boxes 😖 I scooped everything out and vacuumed them but the wood still looks pretty gross and I of course don’t know if the previous chickens had anything that could be passed to mine. All help is much appreciated☺️

Popping back in to add that I use dish pans from dollar tree in my nest boxes. They are easy to lift out and wash up when needed.

If you go that route they do need an anti-tip board in front. Birds stepping in often step on the front lip of the box.

Mine....I built it so I can take everything including the dividers out when a full sweep out is needed or in case of treating the coop for mites.. You can see my anti-tip boards in the pic.

IMG_20210516_113953.jpg

In
Popping back in to add that I use dish pans from dollar tree in my nest boxes. They are easy to lift out and wash up when needed.

If you go that route they do need an anti-tip board in front. Birds stepping in often step on the front lip of the box.

Mine....I built it so I can take everything including the dividers out when a full sweep out is needed or in case of treating the coop for mites.. You can see my anti-tip boards in the pic.
I like your nests, very well done. You might add a picture to one of the nest box ideas threads so it is easier to find for people looking for ideas.

Back
Top Bottom