Nesting box ideas

I prefer them at an easy height to check for eggs and clean out,
If you want to crawl on the floor that’s your choice :) but I don’t

They seem to like to be closed in when laying , in a box with curtains....

I did see cute ones where they took 5 gallon buckets , (they come in many colours )and laid them on their sides with a 2x4 in front , the hens looked so cute in there

Here they just cut the lid down
52A22E53-49AA-4F6D-8E50-14DEFB350A63.jpeg

Mine are only 3" off the ground and with coop bedding in, it's basically ground level. Sure I have to bend down to get eggs but I think it makes it easier on the hens to just walk in and out of the boxes.

I built my own out of plywood, so if you have some scrap wood available you could build your own for free.

I tried the 5 gallon bucket idea. Thought it was really cute but I think too small for my full size dual purpose girls. Maybe great for smaller breeds or bantam.
Since mine wouldn't use the buckets, I replaced them with 1 oval party ice tub. I have two laying currently and they both use it. I hope the others will as well when the time comes.
IMG_20180829_092438854.jpg
it is about a foot off the floor with a layer of pine shavings and 2 ceramic eggs. The pool noodle has a pvx pipe through it to provide a percentage for getting in and out.

So I just thought of something when looking on the "free stuff" on kijiji (online sales site, not sure if it's Canada only). And I kind a find it a hilarious option but what about getting a free fridge/freezer online, taking the doors off and lining the shelves? I feel like it would be really easy to clean and hilarious because... well... ultimately that's where the eggs will end up lol

So I just thought of something when looking on the "free stuff" on kijiji (online sales site, not sure if it's Canada only). And I kind a find it a hilarious option but what about getting a free fridge/freezer online, taking the doors off and lining the shelves? I feel like it would be really easy to clean and hilarious because... well... ultimately that's where the eggs will end up lol
I'm using a fridge for my grow out pen. I flipped it on its side and took the door off. The chicks seem to take to it well.

Kijiji is the best isn't it? I've been quite disappointed with LetGo.

Or even better an oven :lau

Back
Top Bottom