cleaning the coop

I do the deep litter method too. Pine shavings in the coop, just keep adding as they get ground down. I have trays under the roost filled with ground corn cobs, I just clean it like a cat box with one of those cat litter scoops. I add more ground cobs as needed. I do this 1X per week. Coop stays nice and clean. I have 10 chickens. Once in a while I will pull shavings out of the nests throw it on the floor and put clean shavings in the nests. I have 1 that likes to sleep in there and a roo that likes to play like a hen! Crazy stuff goes on in the coop
smile.png

I've only had chickens for about 6 months, but we are doing the deep litter method too. I add shavings and DE about once every two months, but I haven't had to clean it out yet. No smell, no bugs, and there will be some great compost come spring!

My coop is 8x6 for 7 pullets. I do a modified deep litter method. I go in after I open their pop door and give them some soaked pellets (warm water) in the morning and pick up the worst poop under the roost and check for anything out of the ordinary (like those soft shelled broken eggs on the litter under the roost I was finding for a while).

Then in the evening I check food and water supplies and stir up the shavings if they are icky. They get a small bucket of new shavings with DE once a week or so. I also seed the floor with BOSS and scratch once a day especially if it is snowy or wet out and they are coop bound. They really hate the snow, and I want them to keep busy.

I'm really new at this, but the coop doesn't smell and the girls seem content in there. They have a 40x30x 40 (or so) triangular covered run throughout the day and that really helps with the poop issues. I've been spreading straw over the snow so that they will come out to "play." Thankfully, it isn't muddy, but that will be a problem with spring and rain. I'll deal with that when it comes, I guess.

Deep litter method in my coop, but I clean it once a month. They must be happy because I've been averaging 12 eggs a day for 14 hens through a cold and wet winter.

Back
Top Bottom