Cleaning the incubator....Pics!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

A friend of mine told me that he puts his styrobator in the dishwasher to get it good and clean. I was quite weary of it at first, but I didn't want to spend the time to scrub it. So I threw it in the dishwasher on the bottom rack, on a light wash with some detergent. Below is the results. (It had never been washed previously in four years... I know, bad boy... sue me!) Next time I am going to put it on a full cycle to get it EXTRA white!

Dirty...

[​IMG]

Clean...

[​IMG]

Have you ever seen anything more beautiful???

[​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Not a bad idea, but I still like my way better. Mix a solution of bleach and water (1/4). Spray it over the bottom, sometimes I even open the bottle and pour it in. Go away. Let it sit for an hour or so. Come back and take a hose to it. Voila! Perfectly clean every time.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:I'd rather not take the chance of deteriorating my incubator with bleach.....

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've been using a solution of bleach water in a couple of mine for several years and it hasn't hurt them a bit.

5. Poulets De Cajun

I'm sure there are MANY folks who use it. I am just not comfortable with it.... not to mention the fact that if its not rinsed well, then you've got harsh chemical residue being heated up with your eggs.

Just not a chance I'm willing to take. Didn't say it was wrong, but not for me. I'll stick with the dishwasher.

Thanks for both of your thoughts though.....

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Well, I'm glad you decided to finally clean it no matter what way you chose to do it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like the dishwasher did a great job. Did you just use regular old dishwasher detergent?

8. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    great idea! [​IMG]
    Ya, that bator needed a good cleaning! [​IMG]

Maybe I will do that when i build my homemade styro-bator. [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The dishwasher will not disinfect it. It really needs to be sterilized. If not bleach at least some Oxine.

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Ya, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out! [​IMG]

Or maybe you could try putting it in the washing machine with bleach soap?? LOL [​IMG] Joking! Don't do that, or you will end up with a mess! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by