1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cleaning wood

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by k625, Oct 17, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hey guys!! I wanted to know what everyone cleans wood with to disinfect. My chickens sleep in dog houses at night, and I have shavings down, but sometimes the poop gets on the wood. I am currently treating for cocci, and want to make sure everything is clean, so what can I clean the wood off with that is safe for the chickens? They are too big and heavy to drag out of sand run....the houses not the chickens lol

2. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    My personnal unprofessional opinion.....bleach and water. I would think that would take care of a lot of yuck...
    Tink

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yup - we use a light bleach and water solution in a pump pressure sprayer and wet it down really well.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Check some of the poultry supply businesses for disinfectants. They should have some that are safe to use around poultry. Also check at your feed store.
    Some people use Oxine to disinfect. Others use Tektrol or a solution of bleach and water.

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by