Cleanliness

Hey yall. Sorry we moved yesterday and unpacked all day today. I will update yall tomorrow with pictures of current situation.

So trying to be a handyman and a dyi guy I got a pintrest (sorry to say but I did and you can't have my man card. Lol) and saw an awesome idea. We just so happen to have an extra carport on the lot that was used for tractors and other junk. Well I was going to put my lawnmower under it. So we decided to take 3/4 of one and make a chicken coop out of it.
Lol...that's too funny! I like that...your "man card"
gig.gif
I just joined pinterest myself an oy! Lots of notifications of pics and stuff that relate to "you."

That looks like a really good idea you have, the size should suit the amount of chickens you have a bit better. Of course I'm not the best one to comment regarding numbers of chickens vs proper amount of space, I tend to push that a wee bit (ok...I push it right over actually and off a cliff) but the basic size requirements help when people are new to chickens and such.

I think I have the jist of how that should work...you're making solid sides, front and rear with the cover from the carport built on? Am I anywhere close?
hu.gif
I'd suggest there are two really important things to consider; making certain it's secure and predator proof...and ventilation. There are many how to's and pics and threads and people on here that can inform you so much better on that than I can. I'm still working on my ventilation, I'm currently using a car garage (kind of like you) and we're moving into a much larger building, probably just for the roosters and guineas. (although nothing's written in stone) Neither have normal ventilation. Proper ventilation is really important and it will make your life much easier.

Also, sorry that we "sort of" overloaded you with a lot of varying opinions on your coop and birds...lol. Everyone has there own ideas and experiences and we may come from different angles for how we'd do things. Each member's suggestions have their own merits and no one's right or wrong. A person has to take what they want from the suggestions and apply it how you see fit for your flock. You basically have to do what's right for "you."
smile.png

I'm very heavy in the offensive; heavy disinfectants and a "closed" flock (I usually bring in new genetics only by eggs, although I did break my rule...I did it very carefully) 99% of the flock is not purebred. I breed my own birds for replacements and what doesn't make the cut goes into strictly egg production. I've figured that much out so far.
tongue.png
(Now that I'll have more room and another building)

The next person may do things completely different with a completely different goal in mind. Just something to consider and just to help you see how we are all so different with our thoughts...lol.

Last edited:
I'm very heavy in the offensive; heavy disinfectants and a "closed" flock (I usually bring in new genetics only by eggs, although I did break my rule...I did it very carefully)  99% of the flock is not purebred. I breed my own birds for replacements and what doesn't make the cut goes into strictly egg production. I've figured that much out so far. :p   (Now that I'll have more room and another building)

The next person may do things completely different with a completely different goal in mind. Just something to consider and just to help you see how we are all so different with our thoughts...lol.
[/quote]

Yes, the top will stay on and I will make sides, front and back out of solid wood. I have no clue on the ventilation so I will have to do some research on that part. I took just took some measurements and it is 12ft wide, 7ft7in tall, and 21ft long. I plan to only use 12ft of the 21ft for the chickens and the other 8ft for the lawnmower and such. I will make sure that I use sealant to seal the space between the two so fumes don't go in the chicken side. I do plan on adding a few windows for light to come in. On the back side of the coop part I will put the chicken run on that side. I alresd have 2 sets of fencing on the property that I will put together to make a 10x10ft run for them. I will cover 3/4 of it to keep it dry.

As far as the perch goes I'll make a retractable box filled with sand to sit under the perch for ease of cleaning.

Also I'm in Clover, Sc

I'm very heavy in the offensive; heavy disinfectants and a "closed" flock (I usually bring in new genetics only by eggs, although I did break my rule...I did it very carefully) 99% of the flock is not purebred. I breed my own birds for replacements and what doesn't make the cut goes into strictly egg production. I've figured that much out so far.
tongue.png
(Now that I'll have more room and another building)

Yes, the top will stay on and I will make sides, front and back out of solid wood. I have no clue on the ventilation so I will have to do some research on that part. I took just took some measurements and it is 12ft wide, 7ft7in tall, and 21ft long. I plan to only use 12ft of the 21ft for the chickens and the other 8ft for the lawnmower and such. I will make sure that I use sealant to seal the space between the two so fumes don't go in the chicken side. I do plan on adding a few windows for light to come in. On the back side of the coop part I will put the chicken run on that side. I alresd have 2 sets of fencing on the property that I will put together to make a 10x10ft run for them. I will cover 3/4 of it to keep it dry.

As far as the perch goes I'll make a retractable box filled with sand to sit under the perch for ease of cleaning.

Also I'm in Clover, Sc[/QUOTE]
A retractable box...ooooh, that sounds cool! SC is...South Carolina?? Please forgive me...sometimes takes me a moment for State abbreviations. I'm from Canada.
woot.gif

Yes, South Carolina.

Just did a lot of reading for ventilation, man the coop they are in now sucks!!! There is none St all up high toilet air out! Which is why the ammonia smell is so bad. I've got some work ahead of me to get the current one setup properly while we start building the new one in about a month.

I'll share pics of the current one tomorr.

That ammonia won't have been the best for them, so it'll be good you'll have a better setup.

I've never had much smell, but I switched from straw to shavings this spring and find it much easier to cleanup because it's loose. An added benefit is that there's no smell now at all. it is dustier than I'd like though. I have problems with humidity, we've been flooding in the past few years. Our humidity tonight outside is 94%; that doesn't help in the coop.

Love the concept of the carport barn, have seen this done very well for goats.
But.
A big plus for ease and efficiency of ventilation are large roof overhangs and/or top hinged windows.
Carport and many prefab sheds lack this attribute

Mancard thing cracked me up too :D

I don't like pinterest because there are very few details.....it all looks good, pretty pictures and all, but....well.

Keep in mind when cleaning your existing coop that ammonia and chlorine creates a toxic gas.
I bet there is a lot of ammonia in that old coop and bleach is a favorite cleaning agent,
even tho it's pretty ineffectual in an environment filled with organic mater.

So I took some quick measurements last night and this is what I've come up with. I will cut (4) 2'x4' sections in the roof, been them up and create (4) dormers. I'll use wood to fill in the sides and leave the fronts of them open covered with hardware cloth. I will try to create roughly 32sqft of roof ventilation.

I'm about to head out and I will take some shots of the flock and current coop.

Those are a lot of good pics! It certainly does look like they didn't use much bedding.

I'm sort of surprised predators haven't breached the walls with the holes and such.

<Snip!>
But if it were me, and this may be extreme for some...seeing the type of walls (they look ribbed) and the floor (not smooth...open boards) and with the coop being 6X8 with holes in the walls....and taking into account you mentioned you'll be building another one or onto this coop...

I would take a match and possibly some diesel accelerant and burn it to the ground. If the yard site in the chicken area has longer grass...I'd do a controlled burn there too if you're in a rural area and if you're allowed to do this. Fire is a wonderful tool.

For me, the size of coop you have is fairly easily replaced and it'll probably take you less time to build or buy a new one than try to clean and disinfect this one. Then there are no questions as to the safety of your birds.. AND you can build one that meets your needs. If money is a question you can probably buy a second hand building that hasn't been used for poultry. This is from someone who was in charge of the disinfection in the farrowing section in a large hog production facility where we used rotated disinfectants and followed with bleach.
I second that, although I wouldn't use diesel, it is too smokey and polluting, you would be sure to bring the local fire department down upon you. In fact you may need assistance from them (assuming it is even allowed where you are) to control the burn. You cannot sterilize wood, and no amount of cleaning will completely disinfect it. Fire is the only thing that is guaranteed to kill everything. Make sure it is completely burned, to the ground and let the hot embers stay until they are cool to sear it as well.

Back
Top Bottom