Cleanup after hatching - ideas?

Puppy pads have a plastic backing. They would block the water if your tray is underneath the mesh and probably keep your humidity from going up. Some puppy pads also have scent chemicals placed on them to attract the dog to pee on the pads. I don't think I'd use them in a bator.

I used the rubbery shelf liner for my first ever hatch and I will continue to use it, I started out with the egg carton in there but didn't like it so I switched it out. The eggs didn't roll around and pretty much stayed in place. It cleans well with hot water and bleach right along with the bator in the tub.
smile.png

Edit to add: 29/33 eggs hatched
smile.png

Last edited:
I just finished my first shelf liner hatching and I will going with that from here on out. Excellent footing for hatchlins, free exchange of humidity, keeps most of the egg shells out of the bottom of the bator, looks washable. I will try soaking it in a 10:1 bleach solution and air drying just as an experimet, (and because I am a tightwad and a cheapskate) but it is cheap enough to just toss it with each hatch if needed. I tried paper towel last time and lost two peeps tha pipped and partially zipped and the towel absorbed all their moisture by wicking the liquid out of the shell and it dried them out and the shell stuck to the paper towel and just glued them into the shell half zipped and they both died. No more paper towel hatching for me, thank you. Two thumbs up for non-skid rubber shelf liner however.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the info. I will go with the rubberized shelf liner then.
I am on the day that I should be closing the incubator down, is it too late to put in the liner?
I am on day 19.
Gina
smile.png

Right now I am hatching buff cornish, white laced red cornish, golden laced wyandottes, and white faced black spanish. sometimes I have a fertility problem when using old cocks. they get stiff in their legs and do not cover hens well.

Chicks do just fine on 1/4" hardware cloth, the standard material for hatching trays.

Clean up is easy with a spray bottle of steriliser ..... 1 tsp bleach in a gallon of water, after the initial clean up.

Adding materials be they egg cartons or cheesecloth affects the working of the incubator .... it will reduce the humidity in many, and that is unhelpful.

Read the manual ..... and don't *overthink* things
smile.png

Quote:
Let me know how that goes. I'd like to try it if it goes well for you.

I always use that liner under my cartons. Makes clean up even easier.

I use the shelf liner as well. You can even throw it in the washer with detergent and bleach after using it and it washes up great. I just line dry it and reuse it again.

Back
Top Bottom