Clear or Red infrared light?

I used to use a red flood light but it burnt out and I never replaced it I just grabbed a clear bulb and that is what I have been using ever since. Red is probably better most likely less stress then having a bright light on 24hrs a day. and also for a small amount of chicks I have just used a heating pad covered with a fleece blanket (people kind and the kind that doesn't shut off automatically) that worked great

Getting some chicks next week and I was wondering which would be better for a brooder lamp light bulb?

What do you guys use?

Whichever you decide to buy, grab it from a pet store or feed lot. and even then read the box carefully looking for anything saying shatter resistant coating. I have never seen the coating on the clear or white bulbs, but many of the red ones do have it. It releases a toxic gas lethal to birds. (Non stick cookware also releases a toxic gas lethal to birds)

Riki

Last edited:
People say the other advantage of red is to reduce picking. I don' tknow...I have the red with my first ever group of chicks and they peck at each other all day. It's just what they do I guess.

I used a regular 100 watt light bulb. I was a little worried after reading about how it's better to use red, but my chicks have been fine.

I used a regular 100 watt light bulb. I was a little worried after reading about how it's better to use red, but my chicks have been fine.
Yeah, I bought a clear one the other day, but I came across the advantages of a red one vs. the clear today. I'm a little worried...hoping it will be okay for them.

I bought a red one that was, according to the illustration on the box, designed for chicks. The chicks loved it. I know people who used clear ones as well with no problems. As long as it keeps them warm I don't think it matters much which one you use.

the debate for the red bulbs is that it is easier for the chicks to sleep. I am not sure if that is truly the case since they seem to sleep just fine in the day when the sun is shinning through the windows and into the brooder. The main point is to keep them warm -

You can use whatever color bulb you want. In the past I've used blue, red, black, white, and clear. Right now i have a 65 watt blue grow light that i am using. I've used 40 watt all the way to 100 watt. as long as the first few days you keep the brooder nice and warm and the chicks are happy it doesn't matter what bulb you use.

Back
Top Bottom