Clear, Watery Nasal Discharge

A few months ago, I brought home a silkie. She had a runny nose. When it cleared up, I put her in with the other silkies. A month later, my silkie roo was sleeping all day and not eating. I separated him, and started him on LS-50. In 3 days the discharge stopped, and he was 100%, but I continued the antibiotics for 7 days.
I don't know. The clear runny nose doesn't really fit into anything other than the sniffles or a cold. My other 4 silkies didn't get sick.
I like LS-50, and others like Tylan. They are both really good for respiratory issues.

So is the general consensus that I should wait it out?

The Duramycin-10 is Tetracycline Hydrochloride and according to the package is for:

"Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD air sac disease) caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae sensitive to tetracycline hydrochloride."

It says to administer for 7-14 days. We've not been at this for 14 days yet, so I guess I will keep administering the antibiotic and wait and see.

Again, today, she was totally normal except for her clear, watery discharge and the gurgling/rasping when she lowers her head to eat. Her coloration is good, bright red face, clear eyes, shiny feathers. She's grooming, pooping, clucking, laying, and eating normally.

I really wish that some of the members here who insist that chickens can't get colds could give me a hint of what to research or look at next. It just doesn't fit with some of the other symptoms. I would have thought she has a minor MG, since it's omnipresent, but Duramycin is supposed to fight that.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I am beginning to suspect you (and the others) are right. So if I get LS-50 or Tylan, can I just start over with that? Or is there a withdrawal period before adding a different antibiotic? Or do you stack them?

I know very little about poultry and antibiotics.

I have a rooster that I have had for all 7 years of his life. A couple of years ago, he seemed to have the occasional clear discharge from one nostril and also a watery eye. His sinus cavity between his nostril and eye would swell a bit too. No other signs, but the right eye will drain clear here and there. He has 3 hens who have always been with him and they have never shown signs. I also have 5 others in other areas that are fine. He seems okay other than this. I took him to the vet back when I first noticed it and because of the swollen area, they put him on tylan for 7 days. It seemed to help, but he still occasionally drains. It almost seems seasonal with him, too. I wonder if he has allergies??

Quote:
I am beginning to suspect you (and the others) are right. So if I get LS-50 or Tylan, can I just start over with that? Or is there a withdrawal period before adding a different antibiotic? Or do you stack them?

I know very little about poultry and antibiotics.

You can just start giving it, and stop the other one. The LS-50 is one tsp per gallon of water. Here's a good link:

http://www.texaspoultry.com/Dosage Chart.html

Last edited:
I had the same thing in 2 new pullets. I also tried Duramycin, since it's supposed to be good for respiratory. They're totally fine except the clear discharge and occasional sneezing. I already had 2 hens and then added these pullets, and the hens haven't been very nice to them, so they're stressed. It's been almost 2 months. I keep hoping that as they settle in it will stop. I kept them separate for more than 2 weeks, but then just put them together because I was having to keep them inside at night, and my whole house was smelling like a chicken coop. I figured worst case, I'd lose all 4 girls and have to start over. The hens haven't shown any signs of sneezing or nasal discharge after 6 weeks together, and they all sleep together in the hen house. Hmm... The place I got them had a huge open-air pen for them in a field, and a large tractor house in the middle, so good airflow, etc. I give them DE but haven't dewormed or done ivermectin. I think I'll try both, on the chance that the drainage is somehow a symptom of worms. I can't think of anything else to do. It doesn't seem like an infection, sinus or respiratory - no lung sounds, no cough, no green or cloudy discharge. Someone mentioned allergies. I wonder if stress is just triggering an allergic-type reaction...

Back
Top Bottom