Clemson South Carolina passes ordinance to allow Hens - REVERSED!!!

cphilip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Clemson SC
It seems to be gathering steam. The ordinance is similar to many others going around. Hens only, 6 and confined with a generous distance from property line (iirc 50 feet) and no slaughtering. But its a good thing. I don't live within city limits but I will be helping a few of them get started now.

*****REVERSED... See later posts*****

Last edited:
They finally got that passed?????????????
They were trying to get that started when I was still at Clemson... 10 years ago. I knew and awful lot of people who hid their birds too.

Really now? I had no idea it had been considered back that long ago. But then again I don't keep up with whats going on in the City limits too much. I would imagine it got dropped and eventually, due to the economy and the general mind set of a University that has an Agricultural component, it got brought up again. But yes, it passed its final public meeting and vote. Just a few weeks back.

Last edited:
One of the off campus little apartment buildings had a bunch of students who were wanting fresh eggs and wanted to keep chickens. Neighbor behind complained when they set up the little coop and they were told to get rid of the birds. The students were trying to change the ordinances but it was my last semester there so I didn't keep a close eye on it, have no idea what became of it. Obvious they didn't get the ordinance changed.

Lucky for me, we lived out in Liberty and the landlord had ducks
wink.png

Quote:
Well sad to hear that. Particularly with our Agricultural mission. Seems times have changed there I guess. What was your major? I have been at the University for 30 years now. Professional Staff but many of those years were in the Animal Sciences including Poultry Dept. I managed the research labs for many a years.

Update... I got this bad news from a City Resident just a few minutes ago.

I read in the paper this morning that the Clemson City Council had reversed itself on chickens. Apparently when there's a horde of supporters at the council meeting, the council doesn't have the balls to vote something down - but the *next* meeting where there wasn't any chicken ordinance supporters there, they "reconsidered the issue" and vote against it.

I hate politicians.

I did some more looking into what he said and found this...

It appears to me the the suggestion for an ordinance was brought up by a particular Sub Division who had some residents who already had some Chickens. Not a city wide movement. And I see some comments by certain Councilmen who seem to not be hostile at all to it. But none the less felt it was less of a City issue as it was a Subdivision issue. I imagine they have no idea it might be a wider issue because it has not been presented that way. The vote then was 4-2 to deny but I think its simply just they have not been presented with a better argument.

I happen to know one of them. And she voted for it but wanted to be sure no Roosters was included in the restrictions. So I think I am going to approach her with some more facts and a wider vision of the fact that some residents are sitting on the side, who don't live in that subdivision who would support the Ordinance and should have come forward. But there does not appear to be good organization of these people but that she needs to be aware of it. Then see what happens after that. At this point I have to lay a lot of fault with the lack of an organized effort rather than city council... so far...

Back
Top Bottom