Bubblesunrise

Chirping
Apr 19, 2022
Eastern Washington
Hello!
I am fairly new at owning chickens. I live in a city that has fairly okay chicken ordinances, however I would love some advice and insight on my current situation with my hens and our city’s ordinance.
I have 6 hens and had not done research into our city’s ordinances on Chickens. I don’t have a lot of money and resources to afford a nicer coop, but I currently have a 10x10 run with a coop I have gotten creative with a heavy duty dog kennel, a coop, wire, and a tarp. It’s not the prettiest but my hens are safe and have some space.
DISCLAMER: I want to state my neighbor and I are good friends and she adores the chickens, I give her eggs and she feeds them all the time.
So roughly two months ago a volunteer municipal code officer had mailed my photos of my coop and my hens saying it is not up to code. I totally understand this and am fully willing to fix what is needed.
However because I had not read our code before I got my hens, I have gotten 6 hens (our city’s limit is 4.) I also had our coop up against a fence between my neighbor’s backyard and mine. I am over 5 feet from my house but our city’s municipal code requires 5ft from house or porch and 15 feet from property lines.
I am willing to move it of course, but as I am starting to plan for this new set up (the snow has been limiting my move till now) I am realizing our yard is not as large as I was expecting. I am worried I may not be able to meet the requirements of 15 feet of property lines and 5 feet of my home.
As for having two chickens over the limit, I am at a loss. I am so scared of what I will need to do. I am very invested in these girl’s lives. They all are such an integral part of my family (my neighbor would adopt them but her yard is even smaller than mine so there’s no chance she could keep them.) My city officials have all been very and patient and nice about me postponing the move as well but I’m worried they won’t bend for this.
Do you think there will be a way of appealing to the city and letting them give me a little slack on the footage of my yard and the two hens? My neighbor is willing to go to the city and give any permission if needed as well.

Attachments

• 20262491-066E-4AE1-AB48-D89914D01A4C.jpeg
    20262491-066E-4AE1-AB48-D89914D01A4C.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2AAF5A75-50B9-46CB-ABBF-8F8B031D41ED.jpeg
    2AAF5A75-50B9-46CB-ABBF-8F8B031D41ED.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 0B881435-A698-4B3F-94FC-28EF49806FC0.jpeg
    0B881435-A698-4B3F-94FC-28EF49806FC0.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 13
I understand your consternation. I'm not a huge fan of skirting the rules, but if someone does complain, you can just bring two of them inside while the county person is doing their inspection OR "give" two to your neighbor. You can't help it if your neighbor's hens sometimes escape her yard.

It wasn’t specified. I actually have no idea. But it’s possible our volunteer municipal coder enforcer was driving by and saw I was not up to code.
I just reread your post. I see what happened. I still think you can get around the rules as long as your neighbor is cool. But know that you may have to re-home them. Seriously - maybe your neighbor could adopt two if it comes to that.

I am over 5 feet from my house but our city’s municipal code requires 5ft from house or porch and 15 feet from property lines.
I am willing to move it of course, but as I am starting to plan for this new set up (the snow has been limiting my move till now) I am realizing our yard is not as large as I was expecting. I am worried I may not be able to meet the requirements of 15 feet of property lines and 5 feet of my home.
In most cases that part of setback rules applies to the coop but not the run. Double check that against your local codes.

Back
Top Bottom