Cleo is getting old

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
my dear Cornish hen Cleo is about to be 6 years old. She usually has a bright red face, shiny colorful feathers, a loud voice always squawking at everyone, and an attitude. But lately her face has gone pale, she bawks less, and her feathers are dull. Also she is usually first out of the coop but today she took 5 minutes before she came out. She has always walked funny and had leg issues because she is so heavy for them and all. I also have a suspicion why she is standing in one corner of the run tail down like this. Well you see Cleo hasn’t laid and egg in year and years now and I think she might be trying to pass one I don’t know what do y’all think???
Will post pictures soon

my dear Cornish hen Cleo is about to be 6 years old. She usually has a bright red face, shiny colorful feathers, a loud voice always squawking at everyone, and an attitude. But lately her face has gone pale, she bawks less, and her feathers are dull. Also she is usually first out of the coop but today she took 5 minutes before she came out. She has always walked funny and had leg issues because she is so heavy for them and all. I also have a suspicion why she is standing in one corner of the run tail down like this. Well you see Cleo hasn’t laid and egg in year and years now and I think she might be trying to pass one I don’t know what do y’all think???
Will post pictures soon
Poor Cleo! Age catches us all...for the pale comb, dull feathers - any chance she could have lice or mites? Is she starting to molt?
At 6 years I doubt she would be laying an egg, but you can do a vent check to see if you can feel one.
Other than that, perhaps she needs a pick-me-up. I use Poultry Cell. I make a slurry of their feed using the Poultry Cell water and feed it to them when they need a boost. :)

Thank you how! much is poultry cell?
Some of the others are starting to molt maybe she is just having a tough one!!
I will check for lice or mites.
How should I vent check?

A few months ago
877F8FCA-485A-4F6A-8FAD-77EB93032308.jpeg

Her now
B201C4FF-CDD6-4A9B-80E4-7D259B3C2BD8.jpeg
A21FCF96-BA28-431F-9760-90914F9CDF06.jpeg

Thank you how! much is poultry cell?
Some of the others are starting to molt maybe she is just having a tough one!!
I will check for lice or mites.
How should I vent check?
A Cornish X is actually a meat bird, not 'designed' for a long and happy life, so well done you :)
Poultry Cell is about $15 available at TSC the company that puts it out is called Rooster Booster.
Vent check - so get a latex glove coat one finger with KY/petroleum jelly. Tuck her under your other arm facing backwards. Gently insert your finger in the vent aiming straight back, go slow. If you can insert your finger all the way - no egg. If you do feel an egg, withdraw gently.
If she has an egg, you need to give her warm Epsom salts soaks. Sit her in the warm Epsom water, she will protest at first but be firm and gentle, chat to her and reassure - she will settle down. It needs to be deep enough to cover her belly. The heat and relaxation may help to move the egg along, if not repeat at least 2-3 x day. You can also give her crushed up human Tums, the extra calcium may help to
move the egg along.
Hopefully this is a 'quick fix', but like Sourland said, it could be a sign of something more ominous - we will keep our fingers crossed :fl

So she is a Cornish x?
I will look into getting some poultry cell.
I don’t have petroleum jelly or the other thing any other things I can use?
I will let you know about the egg!
Thank you

So she is a Cornish x?
I will look into getting some poultry cell.
I don’t have petroleum jelly or the other thing any other things I can use?
I will let you know about the egg!
Thank you
Veg. oil, olive oil - anything that will lubricate. Epsom salts you can get at the pharmacy - real cheap, same thing with Tums. Check for the egg first :)

Back
Top Bottom