Clever Sylvia - first pip and starting to zip!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, May 16, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    My silkie broody Sylvia has had to be removed from the nest daily to eat, drink etc or she just doesn't get off!! So every afternoon when it is nice and warm I take her off and it is almost like she is relieved that she has permission to go ahead and take care of herself. I have had a feeling that these eggs were going to go a little early as they are banties and it seems they always go early for me. I went against my feeling and took her off the nest, rationalising that they are only due to start hatching Saturday night at the earliest. And to my horror/ delight one of the Bearded Belgium Mille Fleur D'Uccles is already zipping! :eek: Teach me to not listen to my gut!! Sigh, oh well hopefully that will not affect them too much. [​IMG] And of course once off the nest she was in no great hurry to get back on! Of all the days! Thank heavens she is back on and I am not touching her again til they are all out!!! SO exciting!! The anticipation is worse with a broody 'cos there's no viewing window for a curious chicken momma!!!! She is sitting on 2 Mille Fleur eggs, 1 silkie egg, and 1 cochin bantam egg.

I also have Calypso (bantam cochin) sitting on 5 bantie cochin eggs. I think I am going to go and feed them some cut up grapes - always a favourite and nice and juicy for a thirsty momma hen. Ooooooh! What a fun time of the year!! And the weather is PERFECT except for some rain (which we really need) I have Calypso up in a regular nesting box and need to figure out how we are going to get them nearer the ground as soon as everyone is hatched! .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by