clicker training a chicken?

You know, the amusing thing about watching those chicken training videos (other than the things the chickens learn how to do), is that they are using Leghorn hens. They look so comical trying to strut around and stay balanced with their enormous, floppy combs.
smile.png

OMG! I just saw this.

I've looked into clicker training chickens, and web surfing found me most of the links that pawsplus posted.

I am really interested in trying to clicker train a chicken because it is supposed to help you learn so much about timing in reinforcement of a behavior, because chickens move so quickly. You can then translate what you learn from training the chicken to training other animals, like dogs. If you click to wrong behavior, you get the wrong behavior, and with chickens apparently you have to be very good at timing your click. Just really intriguing stuff. I haven't tried it yet because I've gotten behind on farm stuff, but it's on my list of things to do someday.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your basset. It's great that you are so interested in training and are looking to find a trainer. Have you tried some basic structure-the-dog-life stuff, like crate training, having the dog sit before getting attention, meals, and treats, not letting the dog on the furniture etc.? That would probably help, and the clicker training could be a way for you and your pup to have some fun together.
smile.png

Veterinary Technician is what I originally went to school for
smile.png
, was Vet Tech for the Zoo for a couple years, but then decided I liked Zookeeping better (felt like a more personal relationship with the animals).

Yes, people do use non-food rewards for training, but in my experience it is much more challenging to train a "non-food motivated" animal. It absolutely CAN be done, but for a first attempt at training you might do well to consult with a professional trainer (puppy classes or something), especially since your pup also has some aggression/fear issues, which are pretty serious problems that usually worsen if not dealt with when the pup is young. A trainer could give you a lot of guidance & techniques specifically for YOUR dog.

Another thought as far as rewards go... what about loading something liquid into a syringe (no needle!!!!) or squeeze bottle and letting him lick/have a taste of it as a reward? Chicken or turkey baby food is a healthy option that I have used before. Carrots would be fine, but again, if he takes forever to sniff, pick them up, play around, chew, etc., etc., it will really slow down the training process. That's why I was thinking of something that he could have a quick lick/taste, & keep going with the training session.

PS: Don't know trainers in your area.. A lot of our larger "Pet Supplies" stores offer puppy classes, I know your dog is a little older, but you could call & ask. Or maybe call some local groomers, they may know of someone.

Last edited:
mountaintopchicken - he is crate trained, but i hate putting him in there...he either is loose in the house, or gets put in a room with nothing he can get into - depends on the day, and how long im going to be out. he is good at sit (most of the time)...he needs to sit before he eats, gets a cookie, goes to the bathroom, ect. i think its a mix between him being stubbord, and mixed messages, that i cant get him to listen- i usually use wistles, noises, and snaps/hand signals to get him to do things, though i forget sometimes, and try using only voice commands, so we both get confused...he also has NO attention span..."come" when he gets a good sniff, means "keep going, i didnt say a thing!"....he is usually really good about not getting on the furniture at my boyfriends house - he is allowed at our house, but not there - but once he figures something out (like where BF's mum puts tasty things that he doesnt know will kill him) he keeps doing it, and its impossible to fix it...he almost got into 2 1-foot by foot things of fudge today....that would have been a bad vet bill too! ...anyway...

i hate when people who get an older dog(older than puppy puppy) find that it has problems, that they need to put work into, then gets rid of it before making an effort at fixing its problems...its such a waste, and puts more stress than needed on the animal....

im still in my first semester in the vet tech program. its alright...though i hate biology...that took me way too long to finish...
my pup definitely isnt food motivated...its not like my lab who will bite your hand off just to get a crumb that he cant even see.
ive found one person in the area that i want to talk about training. i didnt even think about talking to our pet stores...were right next to them 2ce a week anyway...
i hadnt though of doing liquids. he might like that more.

I just started clicker training my chicken today! I knew I'd start with targeting, but I'm still brainstorming what else I could teach her. Maybe stationing.

anywho, this was her very first introduction to the clicker. But she learned so quickly!! I was very surprised!!!

I also clicker train my donkeys & my dogs, so seemed only natural to see what I could get my favorite chicken to do!

I clicker trained my dutch bantam very succsesfully. First, I got some mealworms (any treat will do) and my clicker. I clicked it and gave my chicken a mealworm, I did this every day and now she knows about 10 tricks by command. If you look on my icon/avatar, you will see her playing football!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally clicker trained my chickens, and they love me for it! I taught my chickens to peck a certain face card starting at about 6-8 weeks old. The two oldest female chickens caught on quickly. The rooster took a little longer. I didn't know he was a rooster at the time and he took about a week longer to learn the tricks. The youngest never learned and still cannot learn to this day. Once the rooster learned he was a rooster he took three steps backwards and no longer will eat treats. The youngest chicken shows "special" behaviors and though she has gotten better, she will never be a star! Like I said she is special and she doesn't quite get if she is coming or going. My two smart hens learned quickly and do well and will learn any trick you try to teach them within 20 minutes if you are using the clicker. They love the extra attention almost as much as they love the special treat. I think that when clicker training a chicken your imagination is the limit. I also think that is why I started getting eggs at 14 weeks instead of the traditional 6 mo.

PS I used spinach to clicker train by babies... I cut the spinach into fine pieces and used 1/4 cup per training seesion. My two normal/smart girls figured out the basis of the trick within the first 1/4 cup. the chick that turned out to be a boy took about 2 cups before he figured out what we were doing, then did great until last week when he decided all treats were for the girls. My special girl still doesn't get it but she sure does love snuggle time and doesn't seem to understand treats to this day.

Back
Top Bottom