Climate Smart Naked Neck Egg Layer Chicken Breeding Project in Palawan, Philippines

Here are my 3 BPRs with an F1 naked neck roo from my original pair shown in the first post. Planning to do cross breeding then f1, f2, f3, f4 line breeding to get "purebred" BPRs with large combs and wattles and with naked necks Having big combs and wattles and with naked necks which are not part of the standards for the BPR chicken breed, the f4s having BPR blood of 93.75% can they still be considered BPRs? Or can they be considered a new breed similar to the Australorp which was derived from the Orpington?
View attachment 3559872

To reduce heat stress, some of their feathers have been clipped. Hopefully the eggshells will improve...
View attachment 3559876
Wow, what does BPR's mean?

Brown Nick brown egg layers IMG20230628130118.jpg

Fertile eggs were bought from a certified breeder here in Palawan of H&N International Brown Nicks. Parental stocks were imported from Germany.

Just shared about Pre-Laying Ovulation: laying 2 consecutive eggs in less than 24 hours > https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pre-laying-ovulation-laying-2-consecutive-eggs-in-less-than-24-hours.1588210/

Last edited:
Thanks for using the term Back Cross, it is the correct term instead of line breeding.
Line breeding would mean you are using the F1 male back to it's mother which is not always recomended specially when dealing with prolific egg layers, in this case Back Crossing to the same breed females achieves the same egg laying performance without any of the genetic issues that may appear with a Line breeding program.

This morning I found this article below on backcross breeding but towards the opposite direction to what has been described in earlier posts which is to back cross several times to a particular exotic heritage chicken breed.

In this article the back cross direction is back to the local indigenous chickens; the purpose of the first cross, the outcross to heritage layers and /or dual purpose chicken breeds is to improve the laying ability, egg size, body size, growth rate and then back cross to the local chickens to maintain/conserve their population which carry the genetics adapted to their tropical climate and environment- having traits for heat resistance, disease resistance, etc.

I suppose a bidirectional backcross breeding approach is a better/proper way to do this chicken breeding project (intended as a cooperative program). Thank You Father God Lord Jesus for this article below.

Sustainable intensification of indigenous village chicken production system: matching the genotype with the environment​

• May 2021
  • Tropical Animal Health and Production 53(3)
Authors:
Takele Taye Desta at Kotebe  University of Education
Takele Taye Desta
  • Kotebe University of Education, Ethipia
https://www.researchgate.net/public...em_matching_the_genotype_with_the_environment

This morning I found this article below on backcross breeding but towards the opposite direction to what has been described in earlier posts which is to back cross several times to a particular exotic heritage chicken breed.

In this article the back cross direction is back to the local indigenous chickens; the purpose of the first cross, the outcross to heritage layers and /or dual purpose chicken breeds is to improve the laying ability, egg size, body size, growth rate and then back cross to the local chickens to maintain/conserve their population which carry the genetics adapted to their tropical climate and environment- having traits for heat resistance, disease resistance, etc.

I suppose a bidirectional backcross breeding approach is a better/proper way to do this chicken breeding project (intended as a cooperative program). Thank You Father God Lord Jesus for this article below.

Sustainable intensification of indigenous village chicken production system: matching the genotype with the environment​

• May 2021
  • Tropical Animal Health and Production 53(3)
Authors:
Takele Taye Desta at Kotebe  University of Education
Takele Taye Desta
  • Kotebe University of Education, Ethipia
https://www.researchgate.net/public...em_matching_the_genotype_with_the_environment

That's a good point, the F1 back to the native chicken would increase egg production on native chickens. You can take the same F1 rooster and cross it to both Native and Production type egg layers, the Back Cross to any of those will surely produce better egg layers than the natives.

Back
Top Bottom