Clingy Chicks

youngbirdmom

Chirping
Jun 17, 2021
Hey,

I have three chicks all a few weeks old, the youngest is maybe 2 weeks. When its time for bed and I turn out the lights and leave my girls chirp so loud. Like screaming until I come back and sit with them and sometimes even hold them.
They have access to everything they need they just need me to sit there face to face with them until they fall asleep.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Personally I let them scream. They don't need light at night and they'll get used to not having it. I assume you're brooding indoors? If so, see if you can dim the lights (or open up windows to let in natural light, so it dims naturally at sunset) instead of turning them off abruptly, and let them get settled under the heat plate before turning it off - they can't see to navigate in the dark so suddenly turning off the light leaves them struggling to get situated for bed.

I have a brooder so I can definitely try the night light. But even with the lights on, as soon as I am out of eye sight they all scream.

They scream for us every time we leave the room and a few of them throw themselves at the mesh door of their playpen until we pay attention to them. >_< I'm not upset about it but I feel guilty trying to eat dinner in another room. They really just want to know one of us is there.

They scream for us every time we leave the room and a few of them throw themselves at the mesh door of their playpen until we pay attention to them. >_< I'm not upset about it but I feel guilty trying to eat dinner in another room. They really just want to know one of us is there.
Yeah thats how mine are! But they wont stop until I take the mesh off and they can sit in my hands

You are creating a bedtime routine, they are babies after all 🙂. I talk to them, herd them together, gives a few chest rubs and turn off the lights. They peep loud for a couple minutes and then go to sleep. I only use a nightlight for the first few days so no one wonders away from the heat and get can't find thier way back. After the first week (in warm weather) I now move them to a tiny coop outdoors. They're much happier, and the dust doesn't get bad, once they are scratching and testing out this wings it gets too messy for indoors.

Back
Top Bottom