Clip wings or not.????

My chickens aren't tamed by any stretch, intentionally. My fence is 5 feet. Most that get out go under, not over.

I have 5 acres. They wander maybe 40 feet from the coop to forage when they get out, but if I open they gate, they run in or I can circle around and herd them in. They know where home is. Often I'll look out and escapees will be running along the fence trying to find a way in.

I think you'll be surprised.

Last edited:
I can guarantee that if you feed your chickens several times/day, instead of giving them a full feeder 24/7, your chickens will come running when they see you. My girls are on FF, and their food dishes are empty for a few hours mid day. When I go out to fill, I get mobbed. They love me, or at least love the gifts I bear, and will follow me to the end of the world for food.

Do you mean that to put your "chickens to bed" that you do it by hand? You pick up each chicken and place them in the coop? You can do that if you want, but it's not necessary. When it gets dark, they will return to the coop on their own. Actually, they will return to the coop usually long before what you or I would consider "dark".

No i just kinda walk slowly behind them and they make their way back to their coop. Sometimes i have to put them in before their bedtime because i have a heeler who isnt so chicken friendly! So i try to switch out their "free time" so to speak.

They are giving me some grey hairs. Maybe we didn't leave them in their coop long enough but we didn't calculate on our hens being so adventurous and flighty. 6 of the 10 were easy to put into the coop tonight at 4.30 ish.... Another 3 went in without too much coaxing as the sun was setting but couldn't be coaxed earlier and the last one decided that she was going to roost outside and had to have some insistence that she was not roosting on some outside shelving. In the final equation she went in without hassle..... I won't always have the luxury of today's time though..........and there is dangers lurking.... I had to shoo a huge goanna today................and rooster has been threatening today...... he drew blood on me once....I've had his measure the rest of the day.....but dare not turn my back on him. At this rate, though I believe in the value of a good rooster to the flock....and he's lovely with the ladies........ he may end up in the pot. I don't like being attacked.

What is a goanna?
They are giving me some grey hairs. Maybe we didn't leave them in their coop long enough but we didn't calculate on our hens being so adventurous and flighty. 6 of the 10 were easy to put into the coop tonight at 4.30 ish.... Another 3 went in without too much coaxing as the sun was setting but couldn't be coaxed earlier and the last one decided that she was going to roost outside and had to have some insistence that she was not roosting on some outside shelving. In the final equation she went in without hassle..... I won't always have the luxury of today's time though..........and there is dangers lurking.... I had to shoo a huge goanna today................and rooster has been threatening today...... he drew blood on me once....I've had his measure the rest of the day.....but dare not turn my back on him. At this rate, though I believe in the value of a good rooster to the flock....and he's lovely with the ladies........ he may end up in the pot. I don't like being attacked.

Goanna!

Goannas attack chickens and just love their eggs. They sure are strange and rather frightening looking creatures. With the getting the ladies into their coop at night, someone suggested that they like to go towards a little light. I'm going to invest in a small lantern that I can turn on in there to attract them..... if food is not sufficient of an incentive. We'll see how we go tonight.

I was thinking about clipping the wings too. My chickens have a huge fenced in area but love to explore everywhere else, and get out constantly, luckily we have some land so it's not a problem. They always come back to their house/coop and never stray that far, they are just curious. I've decided not to clip incase they need to get away from something quick. I'm still a newbie, but love my girls and boys:)

Back
Top Bottom