Clip wings or not.????

kntrybumpkin

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2015
I have a question our chicken run is completely enclosed our chickens were never tamed when we got them so if they get loose we wouldn't ever catch them... Now my question we have guineas we have raised and we are going to add them to our chicken flock but before we do that we are expanding our run which is 6 foot tall we would like to leave the new add on part uncovered so the guinea are allowed to come and go as they please to eat drink and roost at night or incase of bad weather.... So I hate to do it but should we clip our chickens wings so we don't have to worry and they stay put in their place or not clip and risk it and hope they stay

If they know where home is, they will come back when they leave the pen. Just curious, if the guineas are allowed to free range, why are the chickens not allowed?
the chickens we have bought from people here and there already grown and we can't tame them the guinea we raised from hatch so they are figure we would have better luck with the ones that are tame we live way out in the country and have alot of predators coyotes particularly but the bottom line the guineas are mine and the chickens are my daughters and she is too scared something will happen to them.... My hopes are once they are together with the guinea going out and coming back long enough the chickens will also and eventually let them out too they are in a very large run and we have tried taming them just hasn't worked

By "not tamed" do you mean you can't pick them up, can't handle them? Many chickens are never truly tamed in this way. Or have you already experienced first hand that if you let them free range they just take off, not to return? If you haven't tried the latter, you might be assuming something that's not true.

Generally, if you lock up a new flock of chickens in the coop/run for a couple weeks, they learn where "home" is. Home being a safe place to roost and a reliable source of food and water. They return to the coop when it gets dark. Occasionally you will have one bird that doesn't return (roosts under a bush or in a tree), but I've only read about this and have never personally experienced that.

By "not tamed" do you mean you can't pick them up, can't handle them? Many chickens are never truly tamed in this way. Or have you already experienced first hand that if you let them free range they just take off, not to return? If you haven't tried the latter, you might be assuming something that's not true.

Generally, if you lock up a new flock of chickens in the coop/run for a couple weeks, they learn where "home" is. Home being a safe place to roost and a reliable source of food and water. They return to the coop when it gets dark. Occasionally you will have one bird that doesn't return (roosts under a bush or in a tree), but I've only read about this and have never personally experienced that.
Pretty much.

I live in city limits i have alittle less then an acre that is fenced in by a 4 1/2ft cyclone fencing i let my chickens out to free range in the evening my two silkie polish mixes have never been real people oriented so i have to "herd" them back to the coop sometimes as they wont let me catch them but the have yet to try to escape he yard so i have left their wings be for now. Usually they stay close to home or where the food is!

by not tame I mean they run from you when they see even when you have feed once you leave the pen they will go back to what they were doin they don't let you anywhere close to them

I live in city limits i have alittle less then an acre that is fenced in by a 4 1/2ft cyclone fencing i let my chickens out to free range in the evening my two silkie polish mixes have never been real people oriented so i have to "herd" them back to the coop sometimes as they wont let me catch them but the have yet to try to escape he yard so i have left their wings be for now. Usually they stay close to home or where the food is!

Do you mean that to put your "chickens to bed" that you do it by hand? You pick up each chicken and place them in the coop? You can do that if you want, but it's not necessary. When it gets dark, they will return to the coop on their own. Actually, they will return to the coop usually long before what you or I would consider "dark".

Back
Top Bottom