cliping quails wings

Bradybertoch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
does anyone know how to clip a quails wings because i need to keep them from flying so i can free range them

It is illegal to free range certain birds in many states. Free ranging quail is considered releasing them which requires a permit. This is to protect wild populations from any domestic poultry diseases your birds may carry.

On top of that, you'll be losing them left and right they don't even try to escape predators.

I agree with dc. quail without wings cannot escape from raccoon, foxes and coyotes. and with wings they will fly away, so your better off caging them, its better for them. However, if your still interested in wing clipping this video might help:

1 i live in Colorado and its only illegal to free range native species and corturnix are not native to Colorado 2 i will be free ranging them in my fenced in garden

I free range my quail in our fenced back yard too, and then lock it up at night. Just grab a pair of scissors and lob off some primary feathers on both sides, just don't it too low or it will bleed.

thank you and what do you mean by low close to the top of wing or further towards the bottom

Close to the bottom, where the feather attaches to the wing. I'm sure there's a tutorial on YouTube to show how to do it. Trimming a quail wing is just like trimming a budgie wing. Try searching something like "how to trim a parakeet wing" I'm sure something will come up.

Back
Top Bottom