cliping

AceOfSpadesJJ

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
UK Colchester
at what age can i clip my chicks wings so they don't fly out over my fence!
thumbsup.gif

How high is your fence and what breeds do you have? I've never needed to clip the wings on mine. My fences range from 5-7' feet tall and I have all large fowl, except for one banty who has never tried to fly.

All of mine are clipped before going outside. If they are flying out of the brooder it won't be long before they are flying everywhere else too. Around 2 weeks is when I clip the 1st time, but I recheck weekly & reclip as needed. Some feathers grow back pretty quickly at that age & need to be redone frequently as they grow out.

If they are flying out of the brooder it won't be long before they are flying everywhere else too. Around 2 weeks is when I clip the 1st time....
They can actually fly best around 2 weeks of age and its all downhill for them from there
smile.png
. As their bodies get bigger and heavier, their ability to fly is reduced. Mine can jump up to the deck railing and from there it is about 12' down to the backyard. Their "flight" is basically a controlled fall. For that 12' down, they can maybe fly 20' across - not even enough to clear the back fence which is pretty darn close to the deck.

Another consideration is that chickens are vulnerable to about every kind of predator there is. I wouldn't want to clip the wings of mine and limit the only defence they have - getting away fast.

They can actually fly best around 2 weeks of age and its all downhill for them from there
smile.png
. As their bodies get bigger and heavier, their ability to fly is reduced. Mine can jump up to the deck railing and from there it is about 12' down to the backyard. Their "flight" is basically a controlled fall. For that 12' down, they can maybe fly 20' across - not even enough to clear the back fence which is pretty darn close to the deck.

Another consideration is that chickens are vulnerable to about every kind of predator there is. I wouldn't want to clip the wings of mine and limit the only defence they have - getting away fast.
I have to clip mine. I'm in town, so I can't chance them flying into trees & such. As for flying ability, I have banties...they fly pretty darn well, even the adults.

I also have Mallards. Those HAVE to be clipped if I want to keep them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom