clipping chicken's wings

It's really quite easy..Takes two people..my hubby and I have done it on several occasions...Works well!

hubby and I just clipped all 9 hens in our flock. They were roosting on the 4' fence that separates us from our neighbor. So far no more fence roosting. The funny thing is where they were roosting was just a 4-6 feet from the coop.

Oh and if you didn't know, you will have to re-clip their wings after each molt.

My husband and I clip wings as the chickens show an interest in getting out. If they fly over the fence once then their wing gets clipped. I was afraid it would hurt them and was against it but once we were shown how to do it I realized they don't feel a thing! Good luck!

We clipped the feathers on one side, yet one of our chickens can still fly up to our trampoline - nearly 4 feet high. Yikes! We are concerned to keep cutting further down for fear of clipping a blood vessel or something. Is it useless to clip both sides? Or would that help?
Thanks!

hubby and I just clipped all 9 hens in our flock. They were roosting on the 4' fence that separates us from our neighbor. So far no more fence roosting. The funny thing is where they were roosting was just a 4-6 feet from the coop.

Oh and if you didn't know, you will have to re-clip their wings after each molt.
Thats good to know, thanx.

Our chickens jump over the fence and would either lay eggs in the yard, or risk being eaten by the cats!
big_smile.png

We had to clip our polish's wings as we came home from errands one weekend and found her on the wrong side of the driveway fence. Lucky it wasn't a work day! She is going though a molt now, will see if she falls back into old habits when the feathers come back.
I don't think it works if you clip both wings. It evens them back out and I believe it would defeat the purpose. I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom