Clipping nails?

flynntheduck

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
My buff has really long nails, should they be clipped? And if so, how? Also one of her dew claws snagged and broke somehow and is hanging on by a thread. Should I just let it die and fall off? Her other foot has no dew claw just that toe. My mallard has no dew claws just toes and his regular claws are short unlike my buff. I am attaching pics of both issues my buff is having. Thanks in advance!

I would clip them just like you would a dog or cat, take the very tip off and avoid the quick. Have a small dish with some ordinary baking flour just in case you cut into the quick, dab it on and it will stop any bleeding. For the broken dew claw, I would clean it very well to prevent infection, put antibiotic ointment without pain killer on it for a few days. I did that when my basset hound tore one of her nails completely off, with nothing but the quick left and she healed fine.

you could, honestly those aren't long, i have many Muscovy and those can be wicked, and yes sometimes they do yank them out.. i have on occasion clipped them, with cat nail clippers and quick stop on hand for bleeding, for the lost ones watch for infection and excessive bleeding often i use a product called 'wonder dust' which is for wounds basically it's a horse product but works for many sorts of livestock.

Thanks! The dew claw bled just a drop. That is actually how I noticed it was damaged. She bled on my pant leg. It is dry and looks scabbed and about to fall off. I will let her swim and then clean it before I put them to bed tonight. I will get some clippers for the front claws. I might actually have some from when I had a rabbit years ago. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom