Clipping Wings--Fly at all?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lhayes1976, Sep 12, 2011.

1. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have my girl's coop and run in a 25x25 fenced in garden. I let them out daily for a few hours when I am working in the yard and occasionally I have to go get one off the the fence--whcih is about three feet tall. With cold weather approaching, I would still like to let them out, but I don't want to stay and supervise them. If I clip their wings will they still be able to get over the three foot fence?

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Some of the lighter breeds probably will be able to. If you clip just one wing it throws off their balance and shouldn't be able to get much lift. Some, however, can will be able to make it to the top of the fence.

3. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:x2

4. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    X3:d

5. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Darn--I was hoping they wouldn't be able to get out. They are Golden Comets--they pretty good about staying, but occasion one of my girls likes to explore the outdoor world. Looks like they will only be getting a little bit of free range time this winter--I'm too big of a sissy to stay out in the cold and watch them.

6. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    I'm not sure how much property you have to work with. My birds don't go any further than about fifty yards from there coop and run. If you can let them free range youre property and they will tend to find specific areas that hold more bugs and not go to far.

7. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I clipped my bantam Araucanas wings. They can still fly pretty good. What they are best at, however, is finding things to jump on to get them to the next level. First they jump on the chair. Then they jump to the table.
    Then they jump to the shelf. Next thing I know they are six feet off the ground on the top of my swing. [​IMG]

8. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    My neighbor has some splash marans hens and she clips their wings but they still manage to get out of their pen and the walls are at least 7 foot.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    The trick with all birds is to fully clip 1 (one) wing. Flight and secondary feathers. Its not possible to flap one wing faster than the other. They become to unbalanced to fly.

Here is the link on how to cut 1 wing right without and damage to your bird. https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by