clipping wings...

newmama

Hatching
11 Years
May 21, 2008
New Mexico
can anyone tell me when or if it is a good idea to clip the wings of bantums? they are now approximately 6 weeks old but flying pretty high already... I hate the thought of doing this but hubby says it is safe... tell me if when and how PLEASE!!
sad.png

yeah, I'd hate to draw blood!! I just wondered if this was done and if so, would it be easy to tell just how far down to clip? Just the ends? Poor little things... right now they're in a very safe place so they can fly from one end to the other, but... later in yard, with fence, if they got out... DOGS!!

If you need to, just clip the flight feathers...those are the 3-5 longest feathers that stick out when they flap there wings...but please make sure you dont cut to deep and too much....Leave the smaller feathers...

I do both wings also, and I also just clip the 4-5 flight feathers. They do great and there is not blood. I do not do my silkie bantums because I have a 4 foot fence that they can not get over, but I would do my guineas. I do both wings because if they want to jump up on something, I don't want them to feel off balance. You will do just fine, and it really is no big deal, after the first time you do it.

Back
Top Bottom