Clipping wings???

southtx

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
My girls like to take flight! I do not know much about clipping wings. I have seen various clips on the Internet, but still feel like I need more reliable information. What do you do? I cannot have them flying into the alley and the neighbors yard. My girls are quick to greet me for treats, but anytime I try to get close to them to pet or pick u p the skitter away. Any advice is welcome as I am still new to chickens. My hens are RIR and they were born in late march. For now I have to keep them it their coop. Thanks again.

My girls like to take flight! I do not know much about clipping wings. I have seen various clips on the Internet, but still feel like I need more reliable information. What do you do? I cannot have them flying into the alley and the neighbors yard. My girls are quick to greet me for treats, but anytime I try to get close to them to pet or pick u p the skitter away. Any advice is welcome as I am still new to chickens. My hens are RIR and they were born in late march. For now I have to keep them it their coop. Thanks again.
My hens are good, tame girls so I usually let them keep their full wings. But if I do clip their wings, I cut only the primaries of one wing. It doesn't hurt them or draw any blood. Only clip one wing, they won't be able to get anywhere via flying without spiralling downwards. (Click the picture to enlarge). Good luck!

Last edited:
That is great. It never occurred tome to only clip one wing,but that will certainly be easier. Thanks for sharing.

That is great. It never occurred tome to only clip one wing,but that will certainly be easier. Thanks for sharing.

No probs! That should keep them on the ground! I personally like full wings better, but I have clipped them in the past and I'll do it again as needed. Your girls will settle down over time and you probably won't have to keep clipping.

When you clip, do you use scissors or another tool? Is it difficult to handle the birds? If not, how can I warm the up tome handling them?

When you clip, do you use scissors or another tool? Is it difficult to handle the birds? If not, how can I warm the up tome handling them?
I use scissors. It may be a bit difficult clipping the wings on a skittish chook. If you need to, put a towel over her head. Darkness can calm down just about any chicken. Talk to her soothingly and/or stroke her feathers until she gets a bit drowsy.

Thanks for all this information. I have five guineas in a cage. I bought them as 4 week old keets and now they are 10 weeks. I'm about to release them into a yard about 15x15 metres(825 squ feet) and fenced with chain link topped by chicken wire (about 10 feet high) shaded by orange trees. I cant free range them because of hawks and because the terracing is very steep - they could glide away easily but it would be hell to get back! I live in southern Spain. I need to clip their wings but don't want to do it too early. Is 10 weeks OK? They've just lost their baby feathers. Can you see if there is blood in the feather? At what age are the wing feathers fully grown out and what is the best age to clip? Many thanks

I have never kept guineas before but if you click here you might find out a bit more about it. As I said in an earlier post, I only clip my chickens' primaries and they are fine with no blood shed and no pain on their part. I think the same would go for guinea fowl, but I would wait just a little longer for their wings to develop a little more.

Something else you might find helpful:

Guinea Fowl International - Wing Clipping

Welcome to BYC by the way!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom