Clogged Chicken Nose

CLison

Hatching
May 18, 2020
Hi All -

Admittedly, I am new to having chickens so please bear with me.

I think my chicken has a clogged nose and I'm unsure what to do.

So far I have tried using warm water and picking at is as she allows but not much is coming out or off. I also tried using a little peroxide and that helped get a little dirt but not much.

How do I solve this? & How much pressure should I use when trying to clean this? I'm afraid to push too hard.

View album “Recents”.jpg

Thank you for all of the advice

Try the Peroxide again. Apply a couple of drops and let it soak in. Some people use an Orange Stick like used for manicures to help pry out debris from the nostrils.
You may have to work on it several times depending on her tolerance level.

Is the inside of her beak clear?

Try the Peroxide again. Apply a couple of drops and let it soak in. Some people use an Orange Stick like used for manicures to help pry out debris from the nostrils.
You may have to work on it several times depending on her tolerance level.

Is the inside of her beak clear?
To check the inside of the beak do I just put my finger in there or use something?

Thank you all

I put pepper in their food in the winter. It seems to help mine.
I've used cayenne pepper sprinkled in feed and it helps with egg production, including in the winter. How it works internally to do that; I suspect it speeds up their egg making metabolism somehow, not sure.
However not for clogged nares. It's almost like digging through solid hard packed soil. Too bad they dont make a small enough auger to root the crap out. I've dealt with clogged nares, time consuming requiring patience. :)

Back
Top Bottom