Close call with neighbors dog AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyP1

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Upstate NY
Bad neighbors dog broke its chain and came into my yard AGAIN today. I was dumping a pail of chick poop from the brooder down the bank in my pasture and it came right at me....teeth bared and hackles up. Held the pail so I could stick its head in if it got any closer (2 feet is close enough!). My dog saw it and came flying after it....minor dog fight, at least my dog listens to me. Neighbor lady came and got ahold of it. Absolutely had it with this dog and these people. Tomorrow after the vet comes to check a horse, I go and apply for a pistol permit. This dog made its first trip here the first day they moved in. It has been here at least a dozen time, threatening every time, got ahold of a couple of guineas, gone after my family, ran my horses. It is so inconvenient to try and work with a shotgun in one hand. Animal control has done nothing...of all the times I called, they have gotten ONE ticket. The neighbor lady hates the dog, it belongs to her boyfriend. When I told him I had a legal right to shoot it, he threatened to shoot all of my animals. Jerk. At this point, if I could go and get the dog when they are not home, it would just disappear. Can't get near it though. I so hate living next to such a loose cannon of a guy, I know he has been in jail, not sure what for, I think drugs. He is a total wack job.

I wouldn't call animal control, I'd call 911 (keep cell phone on you at all times) and tell them to send the sherriff - that there is a dog that is trying to attack me. Cuz if a deputy comes out there and the dog turns on them....and then the sherriff will know about what is going on - just in case psycho dude tries to come after you guys or hurt the animals.

Whoops, hit submit too soon! The dog didnt get a chance to get any birds, goats or horses this time. I had my little 4 week old chicks outside for their first time today in just a small chicken wire circle....they would have been such easy targets for the beast. I think the animal control lady (who is beyond retirement age) is afraid of the neighbor guy. He scares me too. I am treated to automatic rifle fire at random times, squeeling tires almost everytime he leaves his house and all sorts of ignorant neighbor things. My guineas do occasionally go into their yard, which stinks. So, to be a nice old lady, I took the neighbor lady a dozen of eggs for a "sorry about the guineas". She said she likes them, both the guineas and the eggs. So, what to do about the psycho boyfriends dog? I know there will be retaliation if I kill it.

This is a dog-attacking-person situation now. That gets more attention. Call the sheriff and tell them to get that dog gone. And tell him the man threatened your animals as well. When that happened to me, we were told that we could swear out a warrant for that person's arrest if we felt threatened. Someone saying they would come to your property with a loaded gun to kill something is threatening.

Last edited:
Do you know the guy's name? I might just do a check and see if he is on probation/parole. If he has a felony conviction - weapons are a big no-no. Getting rid of the neighbor might be easier than you think if you can talk to someone at the sherriff's office.

I called the sherriffs after the 2nd or 3rd time the dog was here, bloodbath in the guinea coop. The sherriff went there and the guy had taken the dog and took off before the cops got here. I am worried about the jerk sneeking over here in the middle of the night and harming my horses or cutting fence or some stupid thing. When they got their only ticket, I had flat backhoe tires within a week. Game cams would at least prove it was him, but won't bring back my animals if he decides to harm them. I have one old mare I have had for almost 20 years, hate to risk anything happening to her. I really just want the dog to disappear. I will buy my time, it WILL get loose again, hopefully when they are not home, problem solved. I will go apply for a pistol permit tomorrow though, takes forever in NY to get one. At least then it will be easier to be armed and ready when I am outside working. My friend suggested bee spray, but that really isnt any easier to carry around than a shotgun!

Yes, I do know his name, and I will check into that tomorrow while I am at the sherriffs office...Thanks! forgot all about that!

The guy usually takes off when he knows the cops are on the way! Then is just seems to get swept under the rug. I feel bad for his woman, I would hazzard to guess she lives in fear too. I will make a report tomorrow at the sherriffs office, and find out about the parole thing too....That would be awesome.

I also keep notes of day and time of every incident...and let animal control know. She is an older woman, who can barely get around. I think I will also go to the town about that. It took 3 weeks for her to get them a ticket the one time they did get one. It's so frustrating, I try to get along with everyone, I don't bother anyone, and expect the same in return. The lady is nice. She doesnt like the dog. Its a 2 year old shepherd mix..knows nothing. I would love to fence in my place, but its just not practical, almost 14 acres. And how in the world do you fence in guineas! If I have to keep them in a covered run, there is no point in keeping them. I have them for tick control, I have a horse that probably has lyme disease. It just seems like a no win situation.

Next time say nothing about killing the dog to an owner.It just puts you,your family,and your animals at risk.You know you can shoot dogs.Next time just do it.Issue now is if that dog disappears YOU will be blamed even if you are not responsible.Wishing you a good resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom