Close call with stray Pit Bull in our back yard. Sad Update! pg 7

well i just wanted to get that out there i agree with safety first for children and animals and dont want anyone getting hurt i just want everyone else to see its like people have said before its a dog and who cares what breed its a problem and not blame it on the breed.

Quote:
just PLEASE remember what i said about a bb gun.i HAVE seen this happen before!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
If a large dog was threatening my animals and/or family and I'd already called for help 2X w/o results, the third time it showed up I'd use the SSS method and be done with it.

A pack of dogs killed and fed upon a 10-year-old boy named Rodney McCallister in a St. Louis park around 2003 or 2004. Six out of ten of the dogs picked up after the attack had owners who lived in the neighborhood, but who let them run wild. Yet not one of those owners was charged with anything!

If this dog loses it's life, it's not the OPS fault. The OP has their yard fenced in and the dog is jumping that fence and coming in anyway and acting aggressive towards a human. The owner of the dog who let it run loose is 100% to blame and, if owner is found, they should be held accountable for the dog's demise. Do we have to wait for someone to be killed before something gets done about a large, stray, aggressive dog? Only 13 ppl in 20 years have been killed by snakes, yet if it were a 5' python in their yard, ppl would be outraged and freaking out and calling for blanket bans on snakes ...kind of like the Ohio fiasco banning exotics, shutting down the exotic auctions, etc. when it was the act of a single, deranged individual who released his animals. No human was harmed, yet they've got a huge bill going that would ban every exotic but a hamster. The stats for dogs is quite impressive with 40 or so ppl being killed and 300-400 injured EVERY year by dogs. I can't believe the sheriff's office was so blasé about the whole matter.

Quote:
Seriously? Tranq the dog? They didn't tranq endangered species in Ohio because it takes several minutes for the tranq to work and in that time ppl can be maimed or killed by the tranquilized animal. That's why they killed them. Most people don't realize how dangerous dogs are. This is a serious matter and, if the authorities won't help you, you gotta protect you and yours.

Sweetie,

A BB gun is not going to take out a Pit Bull. A .22 will, but would probably take several shots. If the dog gets as close as you say, then I'd be packing a pistol--.32 or larger. End of problem.

That is scary. Especially with your children so close by. A BB gun is not going to stop an aggressive dog like that if it decides to attack. Neither will pepper spray. An Airhorn may help distract it (those marine can-based ones). Paintball gun is a quick, fast and loud deterrent that anyone can weld and may be useful for scaring the animal off as well. Again, if it is actually attacking (a human or livestock) you'll more than likely have to kill it. Stab it or shoot it.

As far as how it got in, sounds like its jumping your fence. My dog is a pit/husky mix and can climb trees and jump as high as me when we're just playing. No breed hate here, any stray dog can become aggressive if it feels threatened even if it just came into the yard out of curiosity or hunger.

Also your police are useless- Why didn't they shoot it? That is so insane to me, when you constantly see news articles about police shooting dogs they deemed threatening.

inputoutput - according to our neighbors, we are the stepchildren of the county we live in. We are two blocks from the other county line, my children attend school in that county, and we also pay taxes in that county, but do not have access to the city police, because we are in the other county, even though we live in said city.

We live at the curve of our street, at the corner of the curve, there is a stop sign, 1 car out of 10 stop for the stop sign, everyone else just blows through it. Our community has been battling the county for years to put in a speed bump, like the one near the end of our street. But the county will not do it, because we are the stepchildren.

As for the gun issue, because I would want some type of training before using a gun, so I know how to handle it properly, that would take some time. So for now, I just want something that I can use right now. Because I can see they whole yard from the deck, and the coop is less than150 ft from the deck. I figure I could shoot from the deck & still get into the safety of the house before any dog had a chance to charge me.

Until this issue is resolved, my children will not be in the back alone, and I will have a long handled shovel next to me at all times outside. And a high pitched whistle around my neck (to alert hubby).

Quote:
i am just so sorry you and your family are having to deal with this,when it all comes down to the fact that someone had a dog,and was not responsible enough to take care of it and keep it up.

Last edited:
Nearly had an incident myself like this with a loose black lab. We have a large and very maternal Jack Russell who thinks that the chickens are his babies, and Fred (our dog) was all over that lab like stink on a skunk. Everyone was fine but that lab learned you don't mess with Fred's babies.

I understand (and greatly appreciate!) your wanting to have training before you get a real gun. I really do. But I have to agree with the other posters that a BB gun isn't going to be of much help. Even if you shoot it, you're going to irritate it. I don't think it's going to keep it away, though, if it's interested in your chickens. You might chase it away for awhile, but it's going to come back. Also, I'm concerned about you being out there with a long-handled shovel to protect your little dogs. If the dog has a hold on one of your little dogs and you try to get it away, the dog may turn on you - shovel or no shovel. I know you love your dogs, but your health and safety are far more important. Does your hubby know how to use a gun? Get one for him to use and have him teach you how to use it. And gun safety for your kids is also so important! I'm glad you are thinking about that. Our kids were raised with guns in the house. They were all under 12 when they got their first .22's. I hope you get it resolved soon. I can't believe that law enforcement didn't just shoot the thing when it started growling...

Back
Top Bottom