Close call with stray Pit Bull in our back yard. Sad Update! pg 7

I have nothing against Pits and in all my years working for a vet had never met an aggressive one. It's not the breed, it's the species (a dog, who has instincts). Pit Bulls & Pit Bull mixes get a bad rap. I've seen a heck of a lot more aggressive Lhaso Apsos & Cocker Spaniels.
That being said.......I'm shocked that the Police said nothing could be done and didn't either shoot it or tell YOU to shoot it! That's 100% in your rights as a home/livestock owner and parent.

On my way to pick up my youngest from school, I saw the Animal Control truck going down our street, but I could not stop. When I came home, it was coming towards me, so I waved at him. I informed him of what occurred last night, and what was & was not done. He even asked if the dog was still in my backyard, I said no, the sheriff & my hubby let it go. And I also told him, the dog came back 4 hrs later. He then asked if I knew where it lived, again I said no, because if we knew, my hubby would have been pounding on the owners door, telling him to keep his dog locked up, or there would be no more dog.

All he told me was, if it happens again to call the sheriff, a lot good that did us last night.
What I don't get is,the sheriff said that animal control would not be in till Tues. and from all accounts, TODAY IS MONDAY!
somad.gif

Quote:
The gun to use is a 223 it Will stop a pitbull
clap.gif
and is not hard for a beginner to use ! If the AC and Sheriff wont help perhaps the media will !

I feel for you and I would be very angry too!

Friday, I came home, there was a pit bull dog sniffing around and I just barked at it to get away and be gone. He looked at me and growled. Yikes! I am glad I was in the van. If I had a gun, I would have shot it, period. Even in the city limits.

Less than half an hour, two animal control trucks came flying down my street...told them that the dog ran down the street. They hightailed it to look for the dog.

The dog's days are numbered. He has prior convictions....and bit a child before running off on the streets.

Ewesheep, I honestly am wary of ANY loose dog on my property because of circumstances exactly like what you described. You know, it doesn't matter the breed or size, any strange dog can be dangerous in its own right. I've had big dogs act aggressive to me in MY yard, and small dogs and I won't hesitate to SSS. Like many on here have said: on your property it may be your pet, on mine it becomes a predator.

To the OP: Hang in there!
hugs.gif

Quote:
The gun to use is a 223 it Will stop a pitbull
clap.gif
and is not hard for a beginner to use ! If the AC and Sheriff wont help perhaps the media will !

YES,YES,YES!!!!!!!!
call your local tv news channel and news paper.you dont have to go on tv if you dont want to,they'll just intrveiw you.that will put a stop to this!
VERY GOOD IDEA ellieroo!
bow.gif

Aye, the sad thing is this, this pit bull was beautiful, a mostly white with brindle patches on his body...a well cared for dog too. Too many people in this town, dumping dogs, 95% of them are pits, are the biggest status symbol that one could ever own and has no business owning them if you don't have the knowledge and experience about pits. The animal shelter is overwhelmed with pits or pit mix, even the adoption agency and mall pet adoption are all pits or pit mixes........you could not find a wide variations of breeds.

Sure I did rescue one pit bull dog, a beautiful steel gray with a bubbly personality. Had him jumped in the car and off we went to the animal shelter. He was the most friendliest bugger I've entercountered. Happily to say, he found a home within a week after he was dropped off to the shelter. He didn't have mmicro or tagged. He just loves kids and its a wonder why someone would dump this friendly dog?!

Is there a gun range anywhere near you? If so, give them a call and ask for a one-hour gun lesson. They'll show you how to handle it safely, and how to point and shoot with confidence. Just getting one hour of instruction and practice will make you feel a lot better about having to protect yourself.

Also consider what is in the direction you'll be shooting when you pick out which caliber of gun you are going to have for protection. Can the bullet travel into a neighbor's yard? Not good.

So, make sure your aim is true and please, oh please, don't go outside armed with a shovel to protect your dogs going potty. You wouldn't do that with a rouge bear in the area, would you? A large dog could overtake you pretty fast...I think we humans just think a dog is gonna do what we say. And what a surprise when they don't.

Back
Top Bottom