Close call...

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
I went to let my chickens out this morning and took a quick peek at the peeps in the brooder.

So glad I took a second look and noticed one of my Mille Fleurs were missing. Took me a couple minutes to find it. Somehow it had gotten itself wedged between the chick feeder and the wall of the brooder. I would never have thought a chick could fit back there, but then again, I've never had chicks as small as these d'Uccles are.

It was cold and barely moving, but still alive! I spent about 15 minutes holding it close under the heat lamp and rubbing it. Then I dipped its beak in water several times and gave it a small drop of Poly-vi-sol. It wasn't moving much though, but I had to go pick up hatching eggs at the post office (which wasn't the greatest timing) and get son on the school bus.

So I put the little chick into a small basket under the brooder light, sprinkled some food on the paper towels and crossed my fingers. When I returned from the post office and got son off to school, the little chick was standing up in the basket, peeping and wide-eyed!!! Half an hour later it was almost back to normal, so I put it back with the others and its walking around pecking and chirping. I almost can't tell which one it was. Whew! Talk about nerve wracking. I sure hope it is going to be ok!!

On another note, I seem to have CRD slowly creeping through my flock, 7 out of 51 so far, ugh. And my little Nemo chick isn't doing well at all. I am treating with Tylan50 and gave the sick ones some vitamins, but I am on my way to TSC to see if I can find something water soluble so I can treat the whole flock! I am scared that I am going to lose my chickens
hit.gif

I've done a lot of reading on here and and other sites and the symptoms they are showing (mostly runny nose, sleepy, bubbly eyes) are what are described as CRD.

Last edited:
Update: The little Mille Fleur seems to be doing fine still. Can't believe how perky and normal he seems now after being so close to death and barely able to even move 3 hours ago!

Hi,

CRD is a really bad disease to have, I think it is reportable in most states? In which case the state comes in and destroys the chickens.

There are soooo many chicken diseases/viruses/bacteria out there that produce the same symptoms, I would bet it is probably something else other then CRD, so try not to panic.

Marlene

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the meds I have will knock it out and they will all be fine. None of them seem near death yet, so there is hope. Its just very nerve wracking for a first time chicken owner. I feel like I've done something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

Back
Top Bottom