Close to hatching.

Loobyloolisa

Hatching
May 2, 2020
Good morning everyone. So I have 10 duck eggs that are now at day 24/25 after midday. Everything seems to be going well this time. However I do seem to have some that aren't as close to others. I have 5 large runner ducks that are filling the egg and have been seen moving the airsack which is a perfect size. However the khaki Campbell's I have don't seem to be as far on and a smaller airsack. They are moving well. I only have one incubator so I can't leave some in the turner while I set the others for hatching. Will it do any harm to the smaller ones if I stop turning them at this stage. Also before I do set them for hatching is there a right and wrong way to lay them. The air pockets on the larger ones are slanting to the side slightly, should I place that facing up or down? Or does it not matter. I'm really hoping for something this time as our first batch (this is 2nd) was a total disaster. I've spent a lot of time before putting them in calibrating and figuring out my incubator. And I've managed to get it stabilized. Any help at this stage will be great. I put them in the incubator at midday so day 25 will turn then so I've decided to wait until tomorrow morning so set for hatch that way I know they are well and truly into day 25. Thanks for reading 😁

Set them with the larger part of the slant in the aircell upwards. If you see any external pip on an egg shut down the turner. This shouldn't hurt the others. Be sure you up your humidity once you see a pip. My first batch was a disaster too. But my last one was 100%. You learn by doing and asking.
Ps. I started with 17 in my current hatch and already lost 5. So sometimes :confused:

Set them with the larger part of the slant in the aircell upwards. If you see any external pip on an egg shut down the turner. This shouldn't hurt the others. Be sure you up your humidity once you see a pip. My first batch was a disaster too. But my last one was 100%. You learn by doing and asking.
Ps. I started with 17 in my current hatch and already lost 5. So sometimes :confused:
Brilliant thanks for that. I looked everywhere online and it doesn't say anything about the air pockets a certain way. You have been a great help.

Everything Magnolia Ducks said was great, I would just add, I would not lock-down too soon. That air cell slant you saw will become even more pronounced the closer you are to hatching. Eggs from different mothers have different shell thicknesses. Some lose water easier than others. Your Khakis may need more time but they also may need to lose more water before they are ready to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom