Closed Eye for 2nd time

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
One of my 7 mth old hens is keeping one of her eyes closed. It's not swollen and she will open it when I pick her up or she is running. I do not hear any gurgling or respiratory distress sounds.

This happened once before about 2 months ago and I put saline drops and terramycin ointment in it plus treated with tylan50 injections for 5 days as she was having respiratory issues then too and she made a full recovery.

I'm hoping to hear from some people about what they think is going on. Is it possible she has a respiratory infection again and I'm just not hearing it.

Should I treat as before and possibly treat the rest of her breeding buddies? It's a total of 5 chickens. They range in age from 7 to 7 1/2 mths.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom.

One of my 7 mth old hens is keeping one of her eyes closed. It's not swollen and she will open it when I pick her up or she is running. I do not hear any gurgling or respiratory distress sounds.

This happened once before about 2 months ago and I put saline drops and terramycin ointment in it plus treated with tylan50 injections for 5 days as she was having respiratory issues then too and she made a full recovery.

I'm hoping to hear from some people about what they think is going on. Is it possible she has a respiratory infection again and I'm just not hearing it.

Should I treat as before and possibly treat the rest of her breeding buddies? It's a total of 5 chickens. They range in age from 7 to 7 1/2 mths.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom.

It's possible there might be debris in her eye. Flushing with saline should help if that's what it is, it wouldnt hurt to put terramyin eye ointment it her eye again in case debris scratched her eye. She couldve been pecked or scratched her eye as well.
If she is relapsing with respiratory disease, there would be other symptoms as you well know. I wouldnt treat her flockmates unless they show respiratory symptoms. Be watchful though, it's possible they were exposed by your previously sick hen.

Back
Top Bottom