Closing the door?

KoaLovesChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2020
Coop related: What do you all do at night as far as closing your coop doors - other than for predators? I'm curious to know as we live in Northern MN and have normally always closed the door at night after the girls have 'went to bed' (In the winter because it's cold! and in the spring so far to help protect them from mosquitoes).

I've been concerned lately as the temps are rising... should we be leaving the door open at night for cooler air for them? We have a box fan in the one window that runs continually, and then an oscillating fan 'inside' the door of the coop to help move air. They have the window that the box fan is in that we put mosquito net and of course predator proofed, but am wondering - if we left the door open at night, would the mosquitoes be too much for them? I've read conflicting information regarding disease from mosquitoes/bugs/etc., but wondering what is really in their best interest (in your opinion since I can't find anything that is on common ground). What do you guys do or do you have suggestions? We've considered putting mosquito netting up on the 'inside' where they are but have so far decided against it (financial and irrational/unnecessary?).

Photos are of coop inside and out. The inside of the left of the coop is divided into two sections - one for our older girls and the other for our newer girls, until they can all be together when they are the same size. 📷 Also, the right side of the coop is/will be used for our meat birds - and wondering the same question as we will need to put a door on there as the previous renters "remodeled" (don't ask!).

Thank you so much!!!

Attachments

• IMG_11971.jpg
    IMG_11971.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_11981.jpg
    IMG_11981.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_11991.jpg
    IMG_11991.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 40
I would recommend keeping the door shut at night, that should help keep it more predator proof. I have a "window" with a box fan in it that runs during the day and at night. I like to shut the door at night. But, the Lord has also blessed to not have had much of a predator issue so far.

It's hard to tell from your description and from the photos what door it is that you refer to. Is there a solid door anywhere that's not shown in the pictures? Or do you mean the mesh doors with chicken wire on them? I'm assuming there's a solid door somewhere. If so, I would not leave it open. Your run is not predator proof and neither are those chicken wire doors, it would be far too easy for predators to break in. If you replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth, you can leave the solid door(s) open and the hardware cloth doors should stop predators while letting air in.

As for mosquitoes, that has never even crossed my mind as something to protect my chickens from. Nor have I heard of anybody doing it. Seems overkill to me.

Of course cause of predators even though you said otherwise but also helps when predators can't see them so less likely to even try. Is there any ventilation other then 2 front windows? Do you know the temp in there?

(In the winter because it's cold! and in the spring so far to help protect them from mosquitoes).

I've been concerned lately as the temps are rising... should we be leaving the door open at night for cooler air for them?
You need good ventilation all year around.
More in the summer and well protected in the winter.

Last edited:
Of course cause of predators even though you said otherwise but also helps when predators can't see them so less likely to even try. Is there any ventilation other then 2 front windows? Do you know the temp in there?
There is ventilation... kind of. The renters put up plywood on the ceiling but there is a "holed opening" where I would suppose warm air can go (the picture of the outside of the coop, at the top is the venting where it peaks). We have plans to remove the plywood so more air flow can get through, however, the face of the building is the only exterior wall with windows and doors. The remainder of the building is wood with tin covering.

It's hard to tell from your description and from the photos what door it is that you refer to. Is there a solid door anywhere that's not shown in the pictures? Or do you mean the mesh doors with chicken wire on them? I'm assuming there's a solid door somewhere. If so, I would not leave it open. Your run is not predator proof and neither are those chicken wire doors, it would be far too easy for predators to break in. If you replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth, you can leave the solid door(s) open and the hardware cloth doors should stop predators while letting air in.

As for mosquitoes, that has never even crossed my mind as something to protect my chickens from. Nor have I heard of anybody doing it. Seems overkill to me.
Mosquitoes are (from what I've read) cause some forms of foul pox.

Back
Top Bottom