Cluck-Cluck, Who's There?

Potoooooooo

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2016
Right on your dinner plate!
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there! I'm Potoooooooo. Quite the name huh? I'm a to-be chicken mama and love to make new friends. I am a people's person, so please do talk to me, I do not bite! (Hehe, sometimes). I am also a graphics artist and love manipulating images, so if you want to request something poultry-related, please do feel free. And oh right, I live somewhere in Canada.

Before I get started with poultry, I have a few questions for all of you chicken laureates. My goal with chickens is to produce either an Orpington with the colours on my profile picture (Gypsy blue skin and face, with golden buff lacing), or birth a living homozygous Araucana with the EtEt allele combination (One deemed a lethal gene). Any tips are appreciated, as I'm not sure how to start. Here are my questions:

What life threat does the allele combination EtEt give to an Araucana? Undeveloped lungs? Heart? Brain? Why is it lethal?

How would I introduce Gypsy to Orpingtons?

Will my breeding goals be hard to achieve, maybe even impossible?

Is there a way to grow chicks outside of the egg, when they are still an embryo? (I've heard secret government operations of this with humans...)

What diet would be the best for my goals?

~~~~

Thanks and I hope to meet you all soon!

welcome-byc.gif
Well, Potoooooo, hope you have lots of space and time because you will have to raise and cull a lot of birds during your developmental process.

Realistically large numbers of offspring are necessary when attempting a breeding program of such magnitude. Culling can take many forms - including but not limited to rehoming, eating, etc.

welcome-byc.gif

Can't help you with the breeding questions but since you are an artist, maybe you would enjoy some of the mini contests we have going on right now (see the link in my signature line).

Thanks for joining us!

You may want to post at "what breed or gender is this." There are several folks there who very knowledgeable regarding genetics. Also the thread starter for "Jest Another Day in Pear A Dice," can speak of genetics in ways I can't comprehend. She is that good - honestly. She is a Canadian as well and has a Chanticleer project that is doing extremely well, as well. I hope you will check out her thread.

Back
Top Bottom