Clucky's New Flock Adventures

It’s happening again!
I recently placed my first order of the season. 😁 20 chicks should be here by next week!

For now, here’s one of my brother’s juvenile Buff Orpingtons.
7DA38396-5682-4DD0-A017-AA8244239C9E.jpeg

2023 Update

I ordered twenty chicks from Tractor Supply online. They shipped a week later during a snowstorm, and when I finally got the call from the post office I had a bad feeling. They warned me that 2 hadn't made it and some others weren't looking so good.

For the next 3 or 4 days, things simply went downhill. Chick after chick became sick and died. I did all that was in my power, but nothing seemed to help. For the first time ever I had to put two of them out of their misery. That was a hard night.

Even with all the tips from @Lacy Duckwing, plus comfort and support from @SummerTheAnimalGirl and @The-White-Elephant, all but 3 little Buff Orpington's died. Those 3 are still going strong today at about 2 weeks old!
Below is one of the brave little survivors.
IMG_6651.jpeg

One night I was randomly browsing Craigslist and happened upon some 2 week old barnyard mix chicks. They were local, about 30 minutes away. I half heartedly contacted the seller, and to my surprise received quick and friendly responses! Pretty soon we had agreed on a fair price for the 12 remaining babies and set up a time to meet.

Yesterday, which was Wednesday, I brought them home! They are adorable and to my relief almost exactly the same size as the 'Survivor Orps'.

Now I have 15 chicks. They are all best friends. 😄 I've decided to keep them in my room until the cold snap is over, which should be in a day or two. I don't want to risk anymore losses. Then they can go outside to the coop with a large heat plate and plenty of room to play and run around.
69704953418__0B1BEC49-7F50-47CD-9A98-DEE383A23639.jpeg

2023 Update

I ordered twenty chicks from Tractor Supply online. They shipped a week later during a snowstorm, and when I finally got the call from the post office I had a bad feeling. They warned me that 2 hadn't made it and some others weren't looking so good.

For the next 3 or 4 days, things simply went downhill. Chick after chick became sick and died. I did all that was in my power, but nothing seemed to help. For the first time ever I had to put two of them out of their misery. That was a hard night.

Even with all the tips from @Lacy Duckwing, plus comfort and support from @SummerTheAnimalGirl and @The-White-Elephant, all but 3 little Buff Orpington's died. Those 3 are still going strong today at about 2 weeks old!
View attachment 3393605

One night I was randomly browsing Craigslist and happened upon some 2 week old barnyard mix chicks. They were local, about 30 minutes away. I half heartedly contacted the seller, and to my surprise received quick and friendly responses! Pretty soon we had agreed on a fair price for the 12 remaining babies and set up a time to meet.

Yesterday, which was Wednesday, I brought them home! They are adorable and to my relief almost exactly the same size as the 'Survivor Orps'.

Now I have 15 chicks. They are all best friends. 😄 I've decided to keep them in my room until the cold snap is over, which should be in a day or two. I don't want to risk anymore losses. Then they can go outside to the coop with a large heat plate and plenty of room to play and run around.View attachment 3393613
They look so happy together! I'm glad it's all working out well! :hugs :hugs :love :love

2023 Update

View attachment 3393605

Now I have 15 chicks. They are all best friends. 😄 I've decided to keep them in my room until the cold snap is over, which should be in a day or two. I don't want to risk anymore losses. Then they can go outside to the coop with a large heat plate and plenty of room to play and run around.View attachment 3393613
Im sorry about the losses. :hugs The cold snap was super hard even on my adult chickens. Im glad three little ones survived and you were able to get more! They are so cute!

2023 Update

View attachment 3393605

So sorry you had to go through that :hugs
The new chicks look so adorable!

Back
Top Bottom