Clump of dead roundworms

Our free range flock roams several acres of our farm with a variety of food available to them. We have never had a worm problem with them. Even when we butcher them and check the GI tract occasionally, there are no worms or very very few.
Our juveniles growing in a coop/run setup have had substantially more worms in them when they were butchered them after our first uear in our system (all still in good health and still not enough worms to be considered a severe infestation).

A friend of ours suggested that if we need/wanted to try deworming with something that was available at the local co-op. It was 3yrs ago and I dont remember the name, but he said it took 1 month to "clear them out" which is about the worms reproductive cycle,i think, but i didn't want to use chemicals.

I tried feeding my chickens pumpkin and squash in the fall (jack-o-lanterns and leftovers from the garden) usually mixed with grated garlic and shredded carrot. In the spring they get another "dose" (without the pumpkin unless we had some that we didn't eat). The results have been significant reduction in the worms found in butchered birds if any at all. I found the idea here:
https://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/organic-de-worming-and-prevention/

That's great to read. Our chickens (11) graze on a land of 1 ha so they have plenty of space. But they are all rescue chickens (from slaughterhouses and such) so they haven't had the best start and some of them are huge because of the hormones added when they were younger.

I tried to feed them garlic earlier today (mashed with potatoes) as I read it might help but the one chicken that seems sick didn't eat it. The rest loved it. I will buy pumpkin today. I also read about papaya seeds, do you have any experience with this?

I'm trying to find dewormers online in Portugese stores but the only one I found was more than a 100 euros which I just can't afford at this moment...

Is it worth trying to deworm them again with the powder I bought before? Or it's completely useless?

There is nothing in your powder ingredients that will treat worms. Try looking for a horse paste wormer, which is usually fenbendazole or Panacur. Those should cost less than a large amount for large farm animals. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given orally once and again in 10 days for large roundworms. Roundworms are what you saw, so you know they have them. To kill more types of worms, give it for 5 days.

Pumpkin seeds, garlic, and other herbal remedies do not work effectively for an infestation. Read about DE and those here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens/

The product you have there is Panacur 2.5% and the product I recommended above is Panacur 10%. You would multiply the dosage I recommended (0.25 ml per pound) by 4 to get the right dose. That would be equal to 1 ml per pound of weight. Can you get a weight or an estimate? A kitchen scale works or you could weight your chicken while holding her, and then subtract your weight. If anyone disagrees with my math, let me know since I am not a math whiz.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom