Clump of grass with dirt in it.

Quote:
I have never tried although it will likely have many of same health benefits as grass in soil. Also consider sprouting some sort of seed and feeding those to chicks. Many vitamins are activated by germination process and the plantlets will be more easily processed by young gizzard than intact seeds / grains.

Thankyou! Ive got some flax seed,pumpkin seed and sunflower seed soaking. Im testing those out to see if they sprout and give it to them too.
I also got a link to some chia seeds to buy and am going to sprout those too.
These chickies are going to eat better than I do!
smile.png

I only have a few words. They are babies and have baby stomachs. I would wait just for a few weeks. Great Question.
As far as the grit put some in a bowl every day with the wet food or you may try a tub of food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) mixing it 1/3 of DE to 2/3 sand that will give them plenty of grit.
102768_1320437208415.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Ya? Why? Cocci?
If thats the reason how long to wait to start giving them outside things?
I did put some maple leaves a couple of days ago that I left out to dry in their room so they would have something to scratch around. So far so good but I wondered since the grass is moist would it be too soon?
How long should I wait?
Im holding the bag of grass in my lap as Im typing this.....
Its my impatience thats killing me with wanting these little ones to enjoy the outside conditions but not worth the cocci if it were to soon.

Maybe instead of the grass that is outside go to petco and buy the catnip and grass they have and just cut it off so the dirt isnt mixed into it in case its miracle grow dirt?
Or just hold off for a couple more weeks altogether?

Last edited:
110905_p1000291.jpg

110905_p1000281.jpg

4 weeks and 3 days old. Photo was taken today.
Stella-white
Thelma-grey
Louise-white w/black (splash) the bossy one who bumps bellies and sumu wrestles. haha.

Last edited:
Hey steve! They were out of the de from the feed store yesterday so Im hoping theyll have some by monday.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have never tried although it will likely have many of same health benefits as grass in soil. Also consider sprouting some sort of seed and feeding those to chicks. Many vitamins are activated by germination process and the plantlets will be more easily processed by young gizzard than intact seeds / grains.

Thankyou! Ive got some flax seed,pumpkin seed and sunflower seed soaking. Im testing those out to see if they sprout and give it to them too.
I also got a link to some chia seeds to buy and am going to sprout those too.
These chickies are going to eat better than I do!
smile.png

Consider smaller seed types and make certain only small amounts offered at first. My free ranging games do not start ingesting green plant materials in any large amounts until several weeks of age although small amounts are consumed starting almost day one. Insects normall dominate and their exoskeletons likely provide similar benefits to plant fiber.

They are to cute Di,
LuvthePics-1.gif
and I can see why you are hooked. We already discussed the Cocci issue so do not worry. They are on the medicated chick feed we discuss, right? You can just put the sand down for now and add the DE at anytime Di they have it. Did you try at a Coastal Farm Supply or I think its Orchards Farm Supply where you are or something like that? I think Thelma, Louise and Stella
SoCute.gif
How is the indoor thing going? Don't worry we are in the Pacwest and they will be out in no time and playing on the grass its great for them. The bugs the grass the water the scratching the everything is good.

And here I thought their mother, if they had one, would just hike them outside on about day two after hatching, right onto the dirt, which they would peck at, lay in, etc. Dirt is not going to hurt your chicks! Do you have any reason to believe your dirt is grossly infested with coccidea?!

Back
Top Bottom