Clump of grass with dirt in it.

Awwww.... your babies are cute. Give them the tube from the toilet paper for a toy to play with. You sound like a very good chicken Mommy.
lol.png

Quote:
I introduced concept of cocci infection based on repeated experience with brooder reared chicks where materials infected with even small amounts of cocci is introduced to confines of brooder where it can cause problems that are more intense than with hen raised chicks exposed to same soil. Normally with brooder reared birds I take great pains to avoid bringing materials from outside into brooder. For some reason cocci I deal with is particularly virulent with confined small birds, likely because of high odds that infected feces with high concentrations of cocci will be consumed.

Quote:
Ive had a spout with cocci from the first batch of cochins I bought from a farm locally. She had a flock of about 500 birds.
I took home 3 of them and within 3 days one of them I took to the vet and they put it down. The other two I nursed to health and they made it. Ive experienced what cocci does first hand and it is a horrid thing to watch baby chicks go thru! Then as their healing from cocci the lice appeared and I learned what lice is about and took care of that. I had my fair share from the get go and dont want to ever experience that again but you cant predict whats to come only be prepared for it if it does happen. I am now more prepared then I ever thought.
A first aid chicken kit is a must!
I didnt have a coop or any thing prepared soon for them so I was able to find a great home for them to a woman who has a flock and was very pleased with taking them from me. I needed much more time to prepare rather than a few weeks to get a good coop set up and ready for them.
I didnt know or realize then how much you really do need to be prepared for having chickens and a good coop.
I retook some photos of them current now in the photos above of my last post. Their cute buggers! The bigger one already is stepping up to my hand when I go into their room. lol...
I think they just want a treat really.

Quote:
I introduced concept of cocci infection based on repeated experience with brooder reared chicks where materials infected with even small amounts of cocci is introduced to confines of brooder where it can cause problems that are more intense than with hen raised chicks exposed to same soil. Normally with brooder reared birds I take great pains to avoid bringing materials from outside into brooder. For some reason cocci I deal with is particularly virulent with confined small birds, likely because of high odds that infected feces with high concentrations of cocci will be consumed.

Ive decided to hold off on giving them the grass. Ill wait and find other things to entertain them with. Maybe Ill throw a live cricket or two in there for them!
smile.png

Quote:

Ive decided to hold off on giving them the grass. Ill wait and find other things to entertain them with. Maybe Ill throw a live cricket or two in there for them!
smile.png

Make sure that you keep your grass clippings very short when you do introduce them later...I recommend no longer than 2-3 inches for adult chickens...and smaller for chicks. (To prevent impacted crop.)

They are really cute!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay so what does impacted crop mean?
Btw, this is all fantastic info you all are giving me!
And here I thought asking about grass and dirt was going to be silly but in fact some of the things you all are sharing is info I wouldnt of known and am absorbing all of this like a sponge wanting to learn all there is so Thankyou very much!!!

Quote:
Okay so what does impacted crop mean?
Btw, this is all fantastic info you all are giving me!
And here I thought asking about grass and dirt was going to be silly but in fact some of the things you all are sharing is info I wouldnt of known and am absorbing all of this like a sponge wanting to learn all there is so Thankyou very much!!!

Apparently some BYC members have observed impacted crop after hens ate hay/long grass. It can ball up inside the crop and then it is blocked. Never happened to me, thank God.

You don't have to worry about it unless the grass is CUT. They can graze and free range just fine, since they clip the ends off the grass themselves in short lengths.

Last edited:
Oh okay!
WEll from day one I mixed green hay at the bottom of their boarder then put pine shavings on top so it wouldnt fall thru the screen to the bottom and they eat some of the green hay which didnt seem to bother them much.

Quote:
Crop is unable to empty solids into gizzard, usually because of some sort of solid blocks progression. Many folks have problems with vegetative plant materials which I think is caused by birds not be used to such in diet and / or inadequate amounts of grit in diet. I have also had similar problem with intact grains from scratch being ingested in too large amounts by young game chickens while dominiques can eat exact same diet and not get impacted crop.

As a treat two more options to consider, meal worms and frozen fish like smelt that is finely chopped. Such when offered by hand provide exceptional opportunity for training. Several of my birds will respond to their name even as adults and will fly 20 feet for such treats.

Back
Top Bottom