Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to see things before making a call. So far statements alone would not stand in court. Are you thinking of options to improve how birds are kept?

I like the idea of options to implement to improve how the birds are kept. Is there a simple checklist or something that can be implemented that volunteers use or employees use that would improve the situation? It can start very simple with things like food filled/checked, water filled/checked, with times next to them that people sign off on so that food and water is always full and clean. Maybe a log can be implemented where the caretakers can note any abnormalities or health concerns that can be reviewed by the vet with some regularity. I'm not sure if this organization is a non-profit or what, but perhaps you can reach out to either a feed manufacturer or feed store on their behalf to establish a discounted rate on a quality feed so that you know their nutritional needs are being addressed. Are you willing/able to organize a volunteer day to make repairs/upgrades to to the coop and run, including a deep clean? I'm just brainstorming here, but maybe this will offer a little direction.

UPDATE.

First of, I am really grateful to everyone for your replies! I am not a fighter and want to do it all right way, and not make rushed decisions. So your input is very valuable to me and other volunteers.

I have sad news. I found out that they've euthanized the grey chicken with bad leg
1f630.png
1f61e.png
1f61e.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
that's the chicken who laid on the floor of the coop for the night and was at risk of being attacked by rats. The lady who's in charge of the chicken program made that decision suddenly (followed a vet's advice) and completely disregarded volunteers' requests to re-home the hen. My volunteer friend there wrote en email saying that she'd take the poor bird home, and other volunteers were looking for a home for her. They all were told euthanasia will happen after the holidays. As always - their requests were ignored. I talked to those ladies who wanted to help re-home the hen, they are very upset with the decision. But it's done now - they've eliminated the "problem-causing" hen. The grey hen in my opinion was getting by just fine, I've been observing her for 1.5 yrs. ... poops are normal, eating well. (but of course since the pen is locked I can't go in and examine her/other birds)
Since then (these past 2-3 days) I've seen the museum taking more measures to eliminate the rats at the coop - which is a good thing. But they are also going to make a rule for visitors to stop giving veggies to the chicken - the one thing that is hens' boredom buster and supply good nutrition. The admin people said they're doing it to eliminate the rats - which is again a good thing to do. We'll see if they'll remove the scratch dispensing machine, and that scratch is thrown on the ground all over the pen area.
They have also added more pine savings to the coop floor - to perhaps cover the rat holes, and eliminate drafts. So, now my question is "would it be reasonable to give the museum time to fix their chicken management or keep raising awareness through social media? As I'd mentioned in my previous post, the recent email to the volunteer group said that the admin. follows the museum policy about treatments/euthanasia/management of the chickens. The questions is "is such policy right/logical/ethical?"

I can see that the museum is doing great things for the city of Golden, it's a wonderful little museum and park (I am a supporter of cultural heritage and parks). However, it's should not be a reason to back off from responsible animal care, no matter who is breathing down who's neck in their administration ranks.
And I don't want to play their political game at animals' health/life expense, by sending courteous email - I've done that before. I am suspecting that since seeing my post on Facebook, and people getting involved, the museum is starting to get worried. But I haven't done anything like going after an organization the hard way - I don't know what is best to do right this moment.

UPDATE.

First of, I am really grateful to everyone for your replies! I am not a fighter and want to do it all right way, and not make rushed decisions. So your input is very valuable to me and other volunteers.

I have sad news. I found out that they've euthanized the grey chicken with bad leg
1f630.png
1f61e.png
1f61e.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
that's the chicken who laid on the floor of the coop for the night and was at risk of being attacked by rats. The lady who's in charge of the chicken program made that decision suddenly (followed a vet's advice) and completely disregarded volunteers' requests to re-home the hen. My volunteer friend there wrote en email saying that she'd take the poor bird home, and other volunteers were looking for a home for her. They all were told euthanasia will happen after the holidays. As always - their requests were ignored. I talked to those ladies who wanted to help re-home the hen, they are very upset with the decision. But it's done now - they've eliminated the "problem-causing" hen. The grey hen in my opinion was getting by just fine, I've been observing her for 1.5 yrs. ... poops are normal, eating well. (but of course since the pen is locked I can't go in and examine her/other birds)
Since then (these past 2-3 days) I've seen the museum taking more measures to eliminate the rats at the coop - which is a good thing. But they are also going to make a rule for visitors to stop giving veggies to the chicken - the one thing that is hens' boredom buster and supply good nutrition. The admin people said they're doing it to eliminate the rats - which is again a good thing to do. We'll see if they'll remove the scratch dispensing machine, and that scratch is thrown on the ground all over the pen area.
They have also added more pine savings to the coop floor - to perhaps cover the rat holes, and eliminate drafts. So, now my question is "would it be reasonable to give the museum time to fix their chicken management or keep raising awareness through social media? As I'd mentioned in my previous post, the recent email to the volunteer group said that the admin. follows the museum policy about treatments/euthanasia/management of the chickens. The questions is "is such policy right/logical/ethical?"

I can see that the museum is doing great things for the city of Golden, it's a wonderful little museum and park (I am a supporter of cultural heritage and parks). However, it's should not be a reason to back off from responsible animal care, no matter who is breathing down who's neck in their administration ranks.
And I don't want to play their political game at animals' health/life expense, by sending courteous email - I've done that before. I am suspecting that since seeing my post on Facebook, and people getting involved, the museum is starting to get worried. But I haven't done anything like going after an organization the hard way - I don't know what is best to do right this moment.

Based on how your position is lining up and my experience working with institutions that keep animals for educational purposes, the people making discussions are going to say screw it, it is not worth hassle so will get rid of birds regardless of value their efforts have to public. Efforts like yours, in the long run, may prove very bad. Switch emphasis to making them do better. You are falling far short of that so far.

What are you intentions? Do you want to have them shut down and prohibited from keeping chickens? Do you want to improve conditions for the chickens?

Even Animal Control generally would give someone a reasonable amount of time to correct any problems before seizing their animals.

You said the chicken that was euthanized was only done so after the vet advised that it was the best course of action. If this is the case, then the museum acted responsibly as they are working directly with a vet, an authority of the condition of the chicken. Perhaps there were other underlying problems and the leg was just a piece of the puzzle.

It is not an unreasonable request to ask people not to bring food from home for the chickens. This policy is likely for the health and safety of the chickens. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with random people stopping by my coop and giving random food to my flock, especially when I try to feed them balanced rations, and these random people could bring something that is not safe for the chickens. Also if they are feeding a formulated chicken feed/pellet this is a healthy balanced meal, additional veggies and/or forage are not needed. As far as "boredom buster," it is us humans attributing the human emotion/feeling of boredom to chickens. It's debatable if chickens can even feel boredom at all. Perhaps you can build/donate something to the museum for the coop/run as a "boredom buster" that doesn't involve food, something to climb on or play with. There are lots of great ideas on BYC as well as Pinterest of things that could be added to the coop.

Another idea for the improvement of the chicken keeping would be helping to re-vamp the training program for the chicken keepers/volunteers. Could you (or someone knowledgeable) offer one hour a month of basic education on the care and keeping of chickens to anyone who will be in contact with them? Just an idea.

I like the idea of options to implement to improve how the birds are kept. Is there a simple checklist or something that can be implemented that volunteers use or employees use that would improve the situation? It can start very simple with things like food filled/checked, water filled/checked, with times next to them that people sign off on so that food and water is always full and clean. Maybe a log can be implemented where the caretakers can note any abnormalities or health concerns that can be reviewed by the vet with some regularity. I'm not sure if this organization is a non-profit or what, but perhaps you can reach out to either a feed manufacturer or feed store on their behalf to establish a discounted rate on a quality feed so that you know their nutritional needs are being addressed. Are you willing/able to organize a volunteer day to make repairs/upgrades to to the coop and run, including a deep clean? I'm just brainstorming here, but maybe this will offer a little direction.

That'd be good if they had that checklist, I am not sure they do. I'll ask my volunteer friend (currently works there). When I was feeding the chickens one spring day last year, I've heard the Museum lady was giving a tour to new volunteers and they finally came to the coop and since she doesn't like me very much (because of me interfering), they didn't stay too long. the phrase that was hard to hear from the lady to volunteers was "Yeah, you can just do whatever you want pretty much". Like I wrote earlier, there has been no training for the chicken volunteers, according to what I've heard from volunteers themselves.

I've been trying to talk to the volunteers (some of which I occasionally meet at the coop) about ways to improve things. Some received with a "closed off heart" - in a way that "who are you to tell us what to do?". Some others are nicer and would agree, but I haven't seen any changes that we discussed.

Not sure of the museum is non-profit. I'll look it up. As far as I have heard from my fiend volunteer the volunteers don't have open communication through email. They just see their schedule and the emails are not displayed.

I'd love to meet up with the volunteers and a vet and just talk, but I am not a volunteer at the coop/museum. I bring them food - vegetables on my own time, but not officially volunteering there. So, technically, I am not anyone there - just a girl from a street who loves chickens.
I love the idea of partnering with a feed store to get discount of good feed! The only thing is so far such efforts have been politely rejected by the admin. lady - similar to ignoring our offers to re-home the chicken with lame leg.

What are you intentions? Do you want to have them shut down and prohibited from keeping chickens? Do you want to improve conditions for the chickens?

Even Animal Control generally would give someone a reasonable amount of time to correct any problems before seizing their animals.

You said the chicken that was euthanized was only done so after the vet advised that it was the best course of action. If this is the case, then the museum acted responsibly as they are working directly with a vet, an authority of the condition of the chicken. Perhaps there were other underlying problems and the leg was just a piece of the puzzle.

It is not an unreasonable request to ask people not to bring food from home for the chickens. This policy is likely for the health and safety of the chickens. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with random people stopping by my coop and giving random food to my flock, especially when I try to feed them balanced rations, and these random people could bring something that is not safe for the chickens. Also if they are feeding a formulated chicken feed/pellet this is a healthy balanced meal, additional veggies and/or forage are not needed. As far as "boredom buster," it is us humans attributing the human emotion/feeling of boredom to chickens. It's debatable if chickens can even feel boredom at all. Perhaps you can build/donate something to the museum for the coop/run as a "boredom buster" that doesn't involve food, something to climb on or play with. There are lots of great ideas on BYC as well as Pinterest of things that could be added to the coop.

Another idea for the improvement of the chicken keeping would be helping to re-vamp the training program for the chicken keepers/volunteers. Could you (or someone knowledgeable) offer one hour a month of basic education on the care and keeping of chickens to anyone who will be in contact with them? Just an idea.

Shutting down the program is not my intent. improving care practices is. I've offered again and again to donate my time, fix the coop, build stations to perch, free medication, bumble foot treatment at no cost, no time on their part - just for free... so far mine or my volunteer friend's offers have been met with opposition for the chickens. Other similar offers are met positively for the beehive/the surrounding area... it's puzzling...

They've said that a vet came and inspected the chickens - esp the struggling hen that was in the sun, and the vet said "everyone in the coop is healthy". The admin keeps saying that chickens don't have bumble foot, but it's visible when chickens are sunning or raise their paw to scratch their heads or peck at scabs. They've said that the chickens are healthy when there was a chicken with sour crop that I've treated at my house. When diarrhea is seen over and over in a chicken for more than a year - and the issue is brought up with admin. and nothing is done it is a concern. One such chicken with lots of liquid poop eventually died. I managed to picked her up through the wooden slats in the lower part of the fence - she weighed no more than a feather. No one knows now the cause of her death of course (maybe even intestinal worms). Don't such issues need to be addressed?

Last edited:
You mentioned that you are not a volunteer there... perhaps officially becoming a volunteer there would be a good first step towards getting things accomplished. It sounds as if there are some volunteers there that do care and would be willing to help. It would likely be easier to officially get something going once you have established yourself as a volunteer. Good luck with your efforts. It is not easy to change things at any establishment that is set in its ways, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

You mentioned that you are not a volunteer there... perhaps officially becoming a volunteer there would be a good first step towards getting things accomplished. It sounds as if there are some volunteers there that do care and would be willing to help. It would likely be easier to officially get something going once you have established yourself as a volunteer. Good luck with your efforts. It is not easy to change things at any establishment that is set in its ways, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I tried to become a volunteer. They've denied me the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom