Co-op had minimum of 6

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrshafer5, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mrshafer5

mrshafer5 Just Hatched

Mar 10, 2017
    West Salem, OH
    [​IMG]The local rko had a minimum of 6 chicks I didn't plan for that much space can anyone help send coop designs for 6 chickens comfortably and on a budget. Thanks I'm new to this first year.[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do you have anything build yet, as far as a coop?

3. mrshafer5

mrshafer5 Just Hatched

Mar 10, 2017
    West Salem, OH
    Yeah a 4x3x3 I planned on 3 chicks but back to the drawing board I guess the first one Will be my brooder for the future

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    If you post a pic, we may be able to help figure out the easiest and most economical way to expand it. Of course, some of your chicks could be males, and you could also end up with deaths (not that I'm wishing either on you). I always buy more than I plan to keep and then sell the extras later once they are past the delicate stage (and I can be sure of the gender of what I'm keeping). For instance three weeks ago I got 57+ chicks (there were a few extras) and this week I have 53 more coming. I plan to keep about 15-20 and sell the rest.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. mrshafer5

mrshafer5 Just Hatched

Mar 10, 2017
    West Salem, OH

6. mrshafer5

mrshafer5 Just Hatched

Mar 10, 2017
    West Salem, OH
    Oh yeah I guess that makes sense I would keep one rooster but who knows what they are yet I have a pic problem is it was a preexisting box that's like punched together[​IMG]

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    What is it made of (solid wood or compressed or..)? Is that board going to be the roof part? I would recommend painting or sealing the inside. Are you keeping the roof removable for cleaning? It also needs more vents and a window to let in light would be nice as well. I assume you are going to make legs and have it elevated?

8. mrshafer5

mrshafer5 Just Hatched

Mar 10, 2017
    West Salem, OH
    It's compressed you can see it was a pallet I flipped it on its side so the side pops off for cleaning and yes am going to paint and seal the angled boards on top is roof as for expanding it not sure it's possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by