Coalition of Animal Sanctuaries Urges Ban on Backyard Chickens

Quote:
This is a very good point. What I would certainly term reasonable measures are already in place via the humane society and local law enforcement departments to see to the greater welfare of chickens, pets and livestock. No one who can be discovered will just simply be able to get away with abusing animals. A lot of the perspective here in this comes down to whether or not you think eating animals is abusing animals and who gets the right to tell you what you can do or cannot do with your animals or whether you can even have them in the first place.

There was a woman cited in our local newspapers this past summer who had over 50 animals (livestock and pets) removed from her home because she had more than she could possibly care for and they were living under unacceptable conditions (ie. horses whose hooves had not been trimmed for a very long time). All the animals were taken and sent to be hopefully rehomed and she was fined. Sad thing is, she thought she was running some sort of animal sanctuary.
sad.png

Also, we see a little bit of irony in that when the neighbor's dog comes after your flock, you want them treated under the same rights given to livestock owners--but if the city police comes knocking on your door for neighborhood disturbance, you want them considered as pets. Everybody has their own reasons for owning their chickens, but ultimately we are talking about an animal that has long been considered as livestock.

Around here, there is no such thing as hoards of homeless roosters. They go in the pot. If you don't have the heart to do it, you give them to someone who can. But if you take on an animal that has certain characteristics to its usefulness and is generally considered as livestock, you have to be prepared to do what has gotta be done. (And I know there are lots of pet roosters out there, but for the most part people want laying hens.) This is where the trendiness aspect comes in to play. With a dog, gender is not such an issue! Education and proper expectations are going to be essential for the success of potential city-dwelling chicken owners.

So it's kind of a catch 22... The only people who will take spent hens and homeless roosters have no inclination to dispatch them (as we pragmatic country people can and will do). They'd also rather that chicken owners or anyone else not dispatch them either, so they are filled to overflowing with animals they can't hehome or maintain, thus the push to reduce those numbers of chickens coming to them in the first place.

Sometimes what seems kindest to an animal really isn't in its best interest ultimately. If you take for example deer hunting--there are many people who think it's mean and unnecessary to shoot and eat deer. But without the careful management of DNR to adjust seasonal bag limits, and if no one at all hunted deer, you would have a population explosion of them to the point that they were all either dying of wasting disease or getting hit by cars. It may not be pretty, but it is necessary to control their population, and effectively more humane as well. All these chickens have to go somewhere!

Oh, cool! I'm glad, because I think these groups may constitute an organized opposition to backyard chicken-keeping that we so far haven't had.

Quote:

Quote:
The original posting is concerned about our rights to humanely care for our livestock, which is currently legal property. In my 52 years on the planet I have watched MY rights as an animal owner in the USA erode, and I bristle at ANYONE who wishes to further bully me (and the rest of us) out of those rights. I believe that one should look at the motivation and follow the money trail whenever an organization desires change. We will never eliminate ALL abuse, but we can intervene and police it, therefore discouraging it and sending offenders to practice "underground."
Right now our country is Overwhelmed with "people behaving badly." I believe in seeking out a niche, a little corner where behavior has gone on unabated, the fighting the good fight. I believe that everyone on this forum desires humane behavior towards animals, else we wouldn't be wasting our valuable time here.

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I have WHAT in my yard? :

So of course the roosters are now living an "alternative lifestyle" which shocked and dismayed her.​

It's a coordinated campaign. Several groups have gotten together and posted a position statement, asking supporters to please send it to government representatives and newspapers in any town that is considering allowing chickens.

Quote:

Quote:
I think the term is Feral= Feral animals are tame animals who have escaped or been turned loose . They are descendants of tame animals. Not trying to sound smart or anything , I just happened to watch a Discovery show about Ferals and then I looked it up ont he internet also. LOL

Farm sanctuary is the group that 'rescued' (purchased) a bunch of meat rabbits from some lady in michigan a couple of years ago. then begged the public for over $5000 in donations so they could build the 'poor animals' a barn. They started claiming the animals were sick when their funds ran out. those groups are nuts. Its bad enough we already have cities that have banned owning any type of small farm type animals(rabbits, poultry, etc).The AR groups don't need to be promoting it. Also, there shoul dbe no overpopulation of chickens in those groups. Yeah they make nice pets, but they also make nice soup too.

I assume they're calling themselves "avian experts" because they are keeping numerous chickens in their sanctuaries. By which logic many on here could also call themselves "avian experts."

I noticed that, too, and mentioned it to them when I emailed them back. Specifically, I wrote, who are the avian experts? I saw only one name.​

It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's that their dedication to veganism deeply colors their opinion on this issue. They're basically saying, "If you think backyard chicken-keeping is a way to eat eggs humanely, it isn't, and here's why. Go vegan." I totally agree that they are doing good work.

I do think we ought to try to keep this thread OFF of bashing them for making arguments we don't agree with and concentrate on how to counter those arguments. The reason we need this thread is to figure out how to deal with an organized opposition, which isn't something we've seen until now. It doesn't really matter whether they're right or wrong. What matters is that we now have an organized opposition and will likely see it in upcoming battles for chicken-keeping rights.

Quote:

Last edited:
Here is what I've posted to my local foods blog:

A coalition of animal sanctuaries has started a campaign against backyard chicken-keeping.

These folks are well-intentioned, and their work is valuable. I was a vegetarian for twenty years primarily for ethical reasons and only went back to meat-eating when I discovered local, pasture-raised meat from animals that live as animals should. I have no ethical objection to the eating of meat, but I don’t want to eat an animal that has lived a life of misery ending only in a horrific death in a factory-farm slaughterhouse. But animal rights activists tend to believe meat-eating itself is unethical and therefore have an axe to grind when it comes to backyard chicken-keeping. They don't believe animals can ethically be used for food production, even when the animal isn't killed to produce the food. They advocate a vegan diet -- no eggs, no milk or cheese, no honey -- and their opinions and arguments are profoundly colored by this. However, some of their concerns are valid, and those considering keeping chickens should be aware of these concerns.

* There are no laws controlling methods by which breeding hens and roosters are kept, which means some hatcheries could be keeping them in small, crowded cages with no access to pasture. Be sure to investigate where your chicks or fertile eggs for hatching come from; if you want to be sure your laying hens were produced in a humane atmosphere, don't buy from any hatchery who mistreats breeding animals. Buy from a those who raise birds on pasture, just like you want to raise yours. Your best bet may be a small producer of heritage breeds, preferably someone local whom you can visit to see how the birds are treated.
* Male chicks are not in demand for backyard flocks and may be mistreated because of their relative lack of value to a hatchery focussed on producing laying hens. Again, choose your hatchery carefully and don't buy from one that mistreats its male chicks.
* Shipping day-old chicks is not ideal. I don't know what kind of stress chicks experience in shipping, but while most chicks survive, it's probably a safe bet that no baby animal should ideally spend its first few days in a shipping box. Again your best bet may be a small local producer of heritage breeds.
* Roosters are often unwanted and sometimes illegal. If you can't have or don't want roosters, have a plan for any bird that turns out to be male. The producer who sold you your chicks may be willing to take the males to add to their flock of meat birds; ask ahead of time. Or you may be able to slaughter your unwanted males yourself or send them to be slaughtered. It go should go without saying that dumping them on a shelter or otherwise abandoning them is not an ethical option.
* Hens may be abandoned after they are no longer productive. As an ethical backyard chicken-keeper, it's incumbent upon you to either treat your no-longer-productive hen as a valued pet, the same as you would an aging dog, or to either slaughter her yourself or send her to be slaughtered. Have a plan in mind before you get your chickens.

When push comes to shove, though, if you eat eggs, these problems are not ones that can be solved by not keeping your own chickens. Producers of eggs, even those you buy at the farmers' markets, are probably getting their laying hens from the same hatchery as the chicks down at Tractor Supply. So whether you get your eggs from Kroger, the farmers' market, or your own backyard, at some point some hatchery was likely involved. Unless you are willing to give up eggs altogether -- which is what the animal rights groups want you to do -- keeping your own chickens is always going to be the best way to ensure you know how your eggs are produced.

These animal rights groups are asking supporters to actively oppose backyard chicken-keeping by attending meetings of their local city council, writing letters to the editor and to their government representatives, and talking to friends and neighbors. If you are waging a chicken-keeping fight in your town, be aware of this potential source of opposition.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom