Cocci - 5 days On Sulmet/Corid - No Change?

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
So, my BLH pullet is still showing signs of Cocci... But is it Cocci?

- Brown Leghorn Pullet, 7wks old
- Symptoms of Cocci started 5 days ago
- Began Sulmet for the first 2 days, was told to switch to Corid and she's been on it for 3 days.

Symptoms:
- Head pulled in
- Pale comb/face
- Wings hanging
- Weight loss
- Lethargic (she did go outside today, but didn't forage much)

What Med/s?
- Corid 20% - 1tsp per gallon of water.
- Dry Milk as per advised here on the forums.

Housing:
- Old 8x6 chicken coop (no chickens in it for 15yrs or more)
- Pine shavings as bedding
- Grass hay in the newly built nest boxes made by me (hay was put in 2 days ago, nest boxes have been in for 2wks).

She's the only one with an issue. I haven't seen any bloody poop and I just cleaned the coop out 2 days ago and looked. They've only been outside 6x now (bad/rainy weather lately has kept them in). The food is hanging and clean, the water is changed daily. They have access to wood ash for dusting (just put it in 2 days ago and I know where it came from) and chick grit.

I am really starting to think she doesn't have Cocci, but has something else. It can't be infectious though, no one else is sick. I don't know. Does the Corid need a bit more time to work? Shouldn't I have seen a change by now, though? If I lose her I will be upset because I didn't know what was wrong.

Should I be doing something else I am not aware of?
Thanks

Last edited:
Corid is not an antibiotic, but a thiamine blocker.
wink.png
Not sure what to tell you. Could be something other than coccidiosis, certainly. Corid usually works within two or three days in my experience. If you never saw any bloody poop, may not have been cocci. Sometimes, they just aren't quite right inside, nothing contagious, just a defect.

I have another BLH with mild Cocci symptoms (pale, slightly pulled in head and occasionally drooped wings). I actually noticed her symptoms the day we started the Corid (4 days now). She was a bit worse off, so the Corid must be doing something for her.

The original girl went out and foraged a lot and went back in the coop with a crop full of grass and worms. It's the first time I seen her eat so much since the first day w/ the symptoms. She wasn't nearly as lethargic either. But, her other symptoms aren't getting any better. She's quite weak, she was having difficulties getting up on the cinder block to go back in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom