cocci again and this time I mean buisness! need non-organic advise

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
hit.gif

ok my chicks have cocci again! The first round I treated organically and it seemed to work fine but is back with a vengence!!

now the new sick chicks are being held for others and do not need to be raised organically but they must be healthy!!! So I am trying to figure out the best medicine for them so that I may get it today and try to save them.

Before you ask the water is cleaned 3 times a day with soap and the bedding is changed weekly (what a waste sometimes it is not even dirty but I change it anyhow) the food it top quality and I don't know what I am doing wrong. After this spring I will never raise chicks for sale again. It has only been stress and heartache.

But for now I need a strong medicine that will help these birds out. I read about Amprolium and Sulmet are these the best ones to use? or are there better treatments out there. Please I know nothing about these types of things and will have to order them online express mail I think since I don't think the feed store by me carries them.

Can anyone give me their recommendations on what to buy and what is best. I have bloody poop everywhere and I would say that all 30 chicks are infected
he.gif

I am doing the organic treatments again but think that something stronger is needed. If I loose these chicks I will be devastated financially and it may sound stupid but it WILL greatly effect my life and ds's life as well as disappoint 8 different buyers.

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I feed Purina Medicated, and I can't find it on the bag right now, but I'm pretty sure it's medicated with Amprolium. Check (or call) your feed store, because my feed store does carry Sulmet, I've seen it there.

Do you put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water? I think it would help.

You need Sulmet, Amprol or Corid to cure them. You should be able to get one at the feed store.

What you're doing wrong is not protecting the chicks from Coccidiosis by feeding a medicated feed. Coccidiosis is present in the environment virtually everywhere. It's easy to get, easy to prevent & fortunately if caught early easy to cure.
The best medication is Amprollium if you can find it, second best is Sulmet. If you use the Sulmet dose carefully as it can be hard on the kidneys.

BTW If your chicks had Coccidiosis once & survived they should be immune now. Are you sure they had/have Cocci?

Last edited:
I always put ACV in thier water. The first 2 that got cocci I was able to fix with a 3 day regiment of yogurt,milk, greens, garlic de, and starter food all blended together

These chicks are 4-5 weeks old should I try medicated starter food now? I am calling my feed store to see what of these medicines they have.

There is blood in all of their poops it looks like a horror movie in the brooder!

If I do use starter on my newly hatched chicks how long should I use it for the first onth or the full 5 months until they start laying?

my feed store carries none of these things only an antibiotic which I know wont help. I have just called my vet maybe they will have something.

AHappychick, so sorry about your chicks! My local feed store does not have some of the cocci meds either, but the county farmers' co-op does. Don't know how that works in your state.

It does not help you in the near term, but I got my Amprolium from First State Vet Supply, http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/ . I always keep some on hand just in case, since as you know it's "the sooner the better" when treating coccidiosis.

While you are waiting for the vet answer, you might try an old farm remedy like buttermilk mixed in with their feed, or even fresh (unpasteurized) milk if you have any available. This is not a cure, per se, but it helps promote healthy gut bacteria and eases the damage from the coccidia in the intestinal tract.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Wow, I can't believe your feedstore doesn't have any of the meds...hopefully you can find it somewhere, or get it delivered overnight. I think the medicated starter food would help, because it prevents the cocci from reproducing inside the chicks. The medicated food allows the chicks to develop their own immunity to it.

ugg no one has anything I am heading over to online stores now to have it shipped overnight express. I am doing every organic treatment I can think of or fing. Been running my blender for the past 24 hours with various mixes of anything that has shown to help.

thanks everyone for such quick responces.

I do feed medicated feed exclusively and lately, when the new group of chicks hits the ground, they get cocci anyway. I've used Corid and I've used Sulmet, but I think the Corid/amprol should be used first since Sulmet can make the intestinal bleeding continue longer, being an antibiotic and tougher on the system than concentrated Amprolium.

Back
Top Bottom