Cocci and respiratory issues. Mix medications?

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
My poor little thing was treated months ago for bubbly eyes and other respiratory issues. Wake up today and she has blood in her poop and is looking very poorly, I have started treatment for cocci but this arvo the bubbly eyes came back! It’s not looking good for my poor little girl - can I mix medications? She is currently on Coccivet (amprolium) and I was also thinking of giving her three concentrated doses of oxymav b per day to tackle the respiratory bug coming back.
I want to give her the best chance to pull through but don’t want to mix medications if it is dangerous. What do you guys/gals think? She/he is a 5-6mth old silkie, very small and underweight (always has been regardless of what I feed it) and has always seemed like a runt - his/her brothers and sisters are sexually mature and I am still
trying to figure out if this is a she or a he. Also crowed once, but smaller than her pullet sisters. All my birds are wormed, spoilt and lice treated.

My poor little thing was treated months ago for bubbly eyes and other respiratory issues. Wake up today and she has blood in her poop and is looking very poorly, I have started treatment for cocci but this arvo the bubbly eyes came back! It’s not looking good for my poor little girl - can I mix medications? She is currently on Coccivet (amprolium) and I was also thinking of giving her three concentrated doses of oxymav b per day to tackle the respiratory bug coming back.
I want to give her the best chance to pull through but don’t want to mix medications if it is dangerous. What do you guys/gals think? She/he is a 5-6mth old silkie, very small and underweight (always has been regardless of what I feed it) and has always seemed like a runt - his/her brothers and sisters are sexually mature and I am still
trying to figure out if this is a she or a he. Also crowed once, but smaller than her pullet sisters. All my birds are wormed, spoilt and lice treated.
Hi there, sorry to read about your feathered friend being sick. Also, welcome to BYC.

Could you post some pictures of the chicken and the bloody poop? It would make it much easier for people to make suggestions.

Just for future reference, cocci and coccidiosis are not the same thing. Cocci is a bacteria. It's a common mistake and one I recently learned about myself. I am assuming you are referring to coccidiosis when talking about your chicken.

I can't answer your questions, but these fine folks might be able to help you further...
@casportpony @Eggcessive

Thank you everyone for your replies! I didn’t know cocci and coccidiosis were different things, but it is coccidiosis I am guessing. Symptoms include very bloody and mucousy poops (not every one but a lot), sleepy, fluffed up, disinterest in food or water, runny poops, hunched up. I can’t really get a picture of the poop at the moment because it is caked onto her butt, but will try later on.
Good news though! Last night it was not looking very good at all - I even got my daughter to say her goodbyes. I got up early this morning to take care of everything before she woke up and Bebe is still alive! And eating on her own!!!! I can’t believe it - they are tough little things. I will start the oxymav b as well today and see how that goes. I hope this little one pulls through, she is such a lovely little thing.

Back
Top Bottom