cocci - corid versus sulmet

Glad I found a thread on this topic. Apologize in advance for reposting my questions as I need help too and no one has responded.
I have 11 chicks aged 7 to 17 weeks- first time chicken owner. Pretty sure it's coccidiosis as 4 weeks ago 1 chick died, saw bloody poop, then next chick VERY lethargic same as the one that died. Nursed her back with low Corid mixed at rate of 2 tsp/gallon in eye dropper every 4 hours. Happy I saved her as I thought I was going to lose her. Immediately started treating all other chicks in their drinking water. Within a day or so blood no longer noticeable in poop so continued with dosing at same rate. By 6th or so day bloody poop reappeared. Continued same treatment and blood once again not noticeable until again 5th or 6th day slight blood started reappearing. Behavior normal except for a couple of poops being slightly mucous-y and slightly bloody. Most poop normal. Same pattern going on for 4 weeks. I never stopped the Corid. As soon as I thought things could go to maintenance mode I saw a couple more bloody poop (but not severe). What is going on? Does this mean another chick gets the disease each cycle? Or is it not coccidiosis? Or is it resistant already?How long can I treat my flock before its done or the parasites get resistant? Getting frustrated and worried. Contacted multiple vets-the one that treats chickens wants me to bring in the sick chicken but I don't know which one so he told me to isolate them to identify. Is he kidding? He wIll not test the poop. Then I called state univ testing lab who will not test my sample without a vet. They said its nationwide policy. It's no wonder everyone self medicates who owns chickens! So now I am thinking about trying Sulmet as my next step but I really don't want to over medicate. All advice is welcomed- thanks.
Welcome to BYC! You could try a sulfa drug or generic Baycox.
https://ladygouldian.com/content/endocox

-Kathy

I wish- but it says not to use when human consumption is involved: EGGS: DO NOT USE in laying hens. DO NOT USE in replacement pullets within 8 weeks of laying onset, where eggs are to be used or processed for human consumption. Eggs laid during the withholding period MUST NOT BE USED or processed for human consumption.

I wish- but it says not to use when human consumption is involved: EGGS: DO NOT USE in laying hens. DO NOT USE in replacement pullets within 8 weeks of laying onset, where eggs are to be used or processed for human consumption. Eggs laid during the withholding period MUST NOT BE USED or processed for human consumption.
I think Sulmet says the same?

-Kathy

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sometimes chickens shed their intestinal lining. Do you think that is what you are seeing on occasion?

Why would your vet not test the fecal sample? Is there not another vet around? My vet charged $25 for the testing. A visit is $45, but as you stated it isn't easy to figure out which one to take if your vet even sees chickens..

I don't think I would want to eat eggs from a pullet that was suffering from cocci, aside from with abstaining from eating them after treatment for cocci or worms. Plus a dead pullet won't give you eggs ever... just saying.
hu.gif
(that's how my brain works)

Good luck!

So I finally found the chart in BYC with photos of chicken poop. The poop I was worried about looks EXACTLY like intestinal lining. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction - I can stop worrying about all these meds and best of all stop worrying about my babies!!!

So I finally found the chart in BYC with photos of chicken poop. The poop I was worried about looks EXACTLY like intestinal lining. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction - I can stop worrying about all these meds and best of all stop worrying about my babies!!!
Intestinal lining in more than a poop or two is *not* normal.

-Kathy

If you saw one or two with it, fine, but if you're seeing it every day, I think there is something going on.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. It was one poop about once a week. I took them off Corid yesterday morning and I know it's only been one day but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom