Cocci in turkey poults, Baycox not working

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
8 week old turkey poults just started going into the chicken yard, and I think they got cocci.
At first it was just small bits of red in solid poo, so I started putting Baycox in their water. After 2 days of treatment, it looks worse. Should I keep giving Baycox ? or try something else ?

This is the poop after 2 days of Baycox:
IMG_1698.JPG

I guess my question is, does Baycox work for turkeys? I read that chickens and turkeys are infected by different species of coccidia. Baycox usually works immediately for my chickens but I have never seen coccidia in turkeys.

Does coccidiosis go away by itself in adult birds? My adult turkey was showing the same symptoms, but I couldn't get him to eat or drink anything to medicate him. Now he seems to be getting better on his own without any medicine.

I suspected the baby turkey poults I got had it upon pickup from a hatchery claiming to be clear of cocc. yet their chicken poults were dying in a separate pen from signs of it so I kept them isolated and treated them with Amprol in their water for 7 days which seemed to do the trick. Dosed as a preventative during flock integration over a month ago which seems to have worked well. Everyone is thriving.

The species of coccidia that infects chickens is different from the one that infects turkeys. I read that Toltrazuril does not work as well for turkeys because it leaves their bodies after less than a day (stays in chickens for 4-5 days).

Back
Top Bottom